PDA

View Full Version : Sleeper Goby

VROTONDI
04/15/2003, 09:23 AM
Hello All

I added a sleeper goby to my 55 gal reef yesterday. Wow, what a sand storm it caused. I was not expecting that. I think this is a one time occurance since it was making its home under a piece of live rock. Does anyone know if it does this all the time or just once, when it is building its home. Also, are water test results affected by cloudy water due to the sand storm?

Jamesurq
04/15/2003, 09:37 AM
I would keep an eye on your ammonia levels as any trapped detritus could be added to the water column. Perform water changes if needed.

As far as behavior, I'm pretty sure you'll get this occasionally, the thing you're going to want to be mindful of is your rock structure stability - if he digs under a teetering rock you could be in trouble.

HTH

Addicted Reefer
04/15/2003, 09:37 AM
Sleeper goby's shift sand for food. My gobies are always digging. I think your in for some sand storms.

VROTONDI
04/15/2003, 09:52 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to ask, what does the sleeper goby eat? Do they come up for food when I feed the other fish? Or do they get most of thier food from the sand bed?

Addicted Reefer
04/15/2003, 09:59 AM
They like to eat your bugs in the sand. Some people says they can have a negative impact on the pod population if given enough time. From what i have read they need high protein like krill. I feed my jawfish clams, silver sides, mysis, brine what ever is in the tank it eats and its never been a problem keeping them fat. Maybe the sleeper is different?