PDA

View Full Version : Will a Royal Gamma jump tank?

mocerich
04/14/2003, 07:00 PM
I was looking to purchase a royal gamma for a nice reef safe fish, but the back edge of my tank is not covered. I have heard that they will jump tank sometimes, so I'd like to know if anyone has any experience or knowledge about this. Does anyone keep one without a completely covered tank? I certainly don't want a dried up Gamma on my carpet!:(

Wee Man
04/14/2003, 07:07 PM
quite frankly, i dunno but if u put some saran around the open spot for the time being it might b for the better

reefkeeper1976
04/14/2003, 07:16 PM
I've personally had a royal gramma now for 3 years. Hasn't jumped out of my canopy,but has jumped out of water when it got spooked before. Other than that a very hardy fish that eats well.

Tomzpc
04/14/2003, 09:08 PM
Mine have never jumped and I have open top tanks.

lawndoctor
04/14/2003, 09:17 PM
I had two in five years. Neither ever jumped. Great fish once they overcome their initial shyness.

Catspa
04/14/2003, 09:32 PM
No - Royal Gramma's are not Prone to jumping out of the tank, no more so then, lets say, a clown.

While a bit skiterish, they aren't really darters, and generaly tend towards the bottom/middle of the tank.

Perhaps a good indication on the types of fish that are at risk are those with Shy Skitterish Temperments that are prone to Bursts of Speed, such as Firefish. Grammas while shy aren't that skitterish, and generaly aren't prone to bursts of speed, hence unlikly to taste carpet.

But in the end, any fish has the possiblity of meeting this end...

mocerich
04/14/2003, 10:29 PM
Thank you all for great replies! Very helpful! :)