PDA

View Full Version : pgoda coral

imgrtful
04/14/2003, 09:48 AM
i bought this coral as a pagoda coral.about 2 weeks ago we found a what appears to be a mantis shrimp living within it.i took the coral and moved it.the bottom has bleached out and is now turning green.can it recover or should i cut the bleached portion off?

G-money
04/14/2003, 10:02 AM
It may just be that I can't see accurately, but to me it looks like the tissue is gone and the green is exposed skeleton that has green coralline algae growing on it. I've seen Pagodas hold on, but never seen them regrow over old dead areas. If the upward recession of tissue stops, it may begin growing again. I'd give it plenty of indirect flow and feed the tank regular particulate food.

imgrtful
04/14/2003, 10:11 AM
particulate food?i feed dt's one week and alternate weeks with coralife invert target food.also every other day frozen food for fish and night time paragon liqui-fresh fish nutrition for scavangers.

G-money
04/14/2003, 04:06 PM
The coral probably isn't going to eat much in the way of plant-based food (DT's) but other critters will benefit. The coral(s) will likely get something from the frozen food provided it gets to them. I'm not sure of the Coralife or Paragon products, but they may be suitable. Not sure if they're liquids in which case they may not be the best. Just as suitable would be pulverized flake food, Golden Pearls, live or possibly even frozen Baby brine shrimp and/or rotifers.

Just my take...

EricHugo
04/15/2003, 08:14 AM
I agree with graham - this is a common occurrence with the corals...doubt anything "living" in it would have been the problem, and a mantis shrimp cares not a lick about coral tissue. this looks like recession from something...lack of proper water quality, light, food, water flow, toxins, etc. Not sure which or why or what to do but experiement and try the positions listed above by Graham

imgrtful
04/15/2003, 10:17 AM
thanks for the replies.so,noone thinks cutting off the infected part is wise?glad i asked before doing it