PDA

View Full Version : Wheres the best place to put a chiller??

kozmo02
04/13/2003, 02:48 AM
i might need to get one this summer, the tank is in my bedroom, will the heat coming off the chiller just make my room unbearable??

thanks in advance for any info you share.

pncstod
04/13/2003, 06:31 AM
I believe someone must make a chiller that can be vented outside like an air conditioner. Or one that can be placed outside all together? Thats why i will not put a chiller on my tank. I would rather run the a/c in my house and keep both of us cool rather than just the fish keeping cool.

Putawaywet
04/13/2003, 06:40 AM
It certainly isn't going to help the temp in the bedroom that's for sure.

The ideal location is somewhere away from the tank - preferably in another room.

If you really have to mount it near the tank then try a floor fan to blow the warm exhaust away from the tank. Even better if you can position the fan to move the warm air out of the room via the door.

Brett

kozmo02
04/13/2003, 10:03 AM
anyone else have any ideas?

Tcook
04/13/2003, 05:52 PM
Kosmo,

Where is your room? Upstairs, downstairs, closets? What rooms are on the other side of the walls? Do you have an outside wall?

I had my chiller in the same room as the tank; the room was about 12 x 14' and it really did heat it up. I will now have it in a utility closet with the water heater with a fan wired to a thermostat. The water lines run under the slab.

If you have an outside wall you may think of plumbing it outside in a louvered shed. Will keep the heat and noise out of your room. Macimage did something like this.