PDA

View Full Version : what do you think? water good or bad

REEFISHER
04/12/2003, 08:27 PM
i have a 30 gallon aquarium iam getting started.i do not want to cut corners so i wanted your opinion.i drink bottled water.this company in particular sales at grocery stores for 75 cents.brand name bonneau's distilled drinking water.on the label it says origin portland water system prepared by:activated charcoal,reverse osmosis,de-ionization,steam distilled plus micro filtration.sodium free and mineral free ozone protected for freshness plus purity.
sounds like alot of filtering.well i called up there phone # 503-289-7181 talked to this lady,she said that the water has nothing in it pure h2o,i asked her is it reef safe she said yes.
what does everyone think here?
by the way they are open monday thru saturday and if you bring your own water container it will be 35 cents a gallon.
if this does not work out i will have to spend 200 dollars to get a ro/di for a 30 gallon tank,seems excessive and iam trying my best to make my animals happy. reefisher

AttackDonut
04/12/2003, 08:37 PM
If it's R.O. then it's good water. All else is just frosting on the cake.

Do this, fill the tank with it, wait a week and test and see what you get.

Add live rock and re-test.

Once you are certain of the quality, go for it.

WaterDogs
04/12/2003, 08:40 PM
I would definitely go for it! The cost of an RO/DI unit and maintenance is high and best avoided if possible as in your case.
Sounds like their water is "Certified Distilled" which you can
rely upon; some distilled are not very clean. I wish I lived there REEFISHER! :)

Zack S
04/12/2003, 10:44 PM
Surpised the lady knew what reef safe was! did you explain what that meant?

REEFISHER
04/12/2003, 10:54 PM
i told the lady it was for salt water aquarium (reef).but her reply was alittle hesitant maybe half a second of uuhhhh.this and the fact that i heard distilled in some cases may not be good cause of copper i think?but she promissed me its pure h2o.maybe i can get written document stating that the water will be a stable enviroment for corals.or better yet get her on this board by letting her know that if she can prove the companys water is pure then she can get customers.i will work on this.

arkman
04/13/2003, 12:53 AM
its probabally good, but you should ask if the piping is metal or plastic.