PDA

View Full Version : Q's on Breeding Clowns?

JoJoIndianapolis
04/10/2003, 03:42 PM
I would first like to start out with, where does everyone get their mated pairs from... I have been to Inland Aquatics and they have some great looking pairs of different amphirons... Where are some other good places

Here are some question for you experts, about the actual larva reering tank. What size larval tank, what shape, black sides, and what kind of aeration have you used...

How frequently would you recommend doing WC's, and what ratio?

Comments or recommended Futhure readings on small countinous addition of phyto in the larval tank, for depth presption, feeding rots, and anti bacterial immunity for the clown.

What do you guys feed your rotifers, nanocholoropsis, isochrysis, or chaetoceros? In the future I plan in using the Kent Marine A @ B ferterlizer. I heard that silicates are essential for chaetoceros is this true, if so where do you get them.

I guess I want to see what works best for you guys out there in RC land... -- I'll search the RC board for futher posts...

TY - Joe

barebottoms
04/10/2003, 04:11 PM
[B]I would first like to start out with, where does everyone get their mated pairs from... I have been to Inland Aquatics and they have some great looking pairs of different amphirons... Where are some other good places

I build them :D Start with juvis. Dr. Macs has breeding pairs. You really should search the clown forum and read Clownfishes by Wilkerson. A lot of these questions has been asked before and answered in depth. Also note that by shipping breeding pairs, you risk resetting their cycle and could break their bond. Jhardman will add to this I'm sure :D.

Here are some question for you experts, about the actual larva reering tank. What size larval tank, what shape, black sides, and what kind of aeration have you used...

10 to 20 is good. The smaller tanks means more water changes. Its really a matter of keeping it stable and clean.

How frequently would you recommend doing WC's, and what ratio?

Depends on how often you feed. But expect 1 to 2 days. Test the water quality your first go and note how often you're feeding.

Comments or recommended Futhure readings on small countinous addition of phyto in the larval tank, for depth presption, feeding rots, and anti bacterial immunity for the clown.

Clownfishes by J. Wilkerson
All the Eco-Tropics post in the clown forum.
Jhardman's post in the breeding and clown forums.
and just search in both forums. Tons of good information on pairing, raising, breeding.

What do you guys feed your rotifers, nanocholoropsis, isochrysis, or chaetoceros? In the future I plan in using the Kent Marine A @ B ferterlizer. I heard that silicates are essential for chaetoceros is this true, if so where do you get them.

You only feed rotifiers, nano and the others algaes is to feed the rotifers. Sticky in the breeding forum.

JoJoIndianapolis
04/10/2003, 04:21 PM
Barebottoms,

I ordered the Wilkerson book from premiumaquatics.com, it should be here anytime now.