PDA

View Full Version : Aqua C 200???

jperry8
04/10/2003, 05:53 AM
I am looking to upgrade my skimmer and am thinking about buying this. It runs off 2 Mag 5's. my current skimmer sucks it was made in some guys garage I think! Anyways is this really an Aqua C? Will it be enough to skim my tank (90 gallon main tank overflowing to a 29 gallon frag to a 20 long sump) About a 130 gallons total? How much is a skimmer like this worth? Thanks for all your help!!!!!

Bushman
04/10/2003, 06:29 AM
From the pic it looks like one to me. Never heard of the 200, though. I run an 180 w/ a Mag 7, and it cost me close to $400.00 by the time it was here (new). It runs my 125 well.

Theo
04/10/2003, 06:33 AM
How does it run off of 2 pumps? I've tried this in the past and unless I was doing something wrong the presure would discharge from one of the pumps (if ya know what I mean). I would ask to see it work with the two pumps.

melev
04/10/2003, 06:43 AM
Yes, I have the Aqua C EV-200. However, I'm running it with a Mag12 with no problems. The previous owner contacted Jason Kim of Aqua C to ask if he could use on pump instead of two, and Jason told him to use the Mag 12.

It works because there are two injector ports on this skimmer, and each pump provides water for one. My Mag 12 has a Y connector to divide the flow to each injector. You can see the skimmer on this page:

http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/tank/55sump.html

They go for about $400, but you should be able to get it for less as it is used. I bought mine from a local reefer for $150. :D It is under my 55g in a 25g sump/refugium, and pulls out some dark skimmate on a daily basis. I'm cleaning my skmmer thoroughly every other day right now as I erradicate the green hair algae that began to spread. And it's going, going....almost gone. ;)

lcdd
04/10/2003, 08:14 AM
I have an Ev200 also. I run it off an ampmaster 3k split to 2 seaswirls. It's on a 180 gal and works fine. Definately enough for your tank. Can't compare to other similar skimers as this is my first. I got mine for $200 no pump in mint condition approx. 1 1/2 years ago. I've seen several others in the same price range since. Customer service is excellent as Kim (AquaC) sent me some new straight injectors to replace the 90 degree ones. it's about 23-24" tall and usually runs elevated in your sump so make sure you will have room for it. I believe one of the complaints against them was they were finicky to the water level in your sump. Considering they have been discontinued and replaced with a newer model I wouldn't pay more than $200. Good luck.

lcdd
04/10/2003, 08:26 AM
here's a link to the Ev200 manual. lower right corner of page. http://www.proteinskimmer.com/specs.htm.

lcdd
04/10/2003, 08:29 AM
oops, link didn't work, try this one. http://www.proteinskimmer.com/productsnew.htm

moonpod
04/10/2003, 08:31 AM
The reason the EV designed changed was b/c of the finickiness re water level. To fix that, they changed the gate valve position and voila, the thing isn't sensitive anymore (gate valve is now about 6-8 icnhes off the bottom depending on model). For that unit EV200, you should raise it up so it's outflow is running downhill into your sump, OR have a method to keep the sump water level rock steady.

jperry8
04/10/2003, 09:26 AM
Good info so far! Next question is should I buy this for $200 or less or shell out the money for a euro reef? I want the best stuff!