PDA

View Full Version : Adding Fish Advice

NK
04/09/2003, 12:29 PM
Well, after listening to the LFS and having 3 tangs in my 100 gallon tank for 2 years (thanks LFS), I finally removed them during a Stand Switch. Now I have left a Flame Angel, a Pajama Cardinal and a Pink Skunk Clown. With no fish losses over 2 years guess it was not too bad to have the fish "grow up" with me but returning them to a GOOD LFS was very difficult. My question is, (not asking the LFS this time) what can I safely add? Here is my wish list, I believe the three existing fish are close to full grown and I want nothing in the tank to exceed 3-4 inches:

Have
3" Flame Angel
2" Pajama Card
2" Pink Skunk Clown

Want some of the following:
1 Pink Skunk Clown (for the buddy above)
1 Bartlett Anthias (not sure at all on this)
3 Royal Gramma or 3 yellow Assessor or 3 Carpenter Flash Wrass
2 Pajama Cardinal (for the buddy above)

rvitko
04/09/2003, 12:53 PM
You have a good list of fish their. I would not do the Pajama or skunk clown- my experience is they don't play nice when one is added later- it is not very easy to get a harmonious pair this way and that is especially true with the Pajama and the clowns turn on each other fairly easily. Clowns also present risks with disease and collection as they are cheap fish nowadays and unfortunately the collectors treat them that way. Farm raised will be the only way to go if you try it. The yellow assessors and flasher wrasse are great. The Royal Grammas get a bit nippy- the Brasilians are the worst but unfortunately they are the hardiest and the most colorful. Maybe consider also Blackcap basslet or Swissguards. The Bartletts Anthias are great but the color tends to fade otherwise very hardy- get at least 3 either 3 females or one male 2 females.

NK
04/09/2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I cant find any info on the recommendations, any other names they may go by? Scientific names?

rvitko
04/09/2003, 01:56 PM
Oh boy- I hope I don't butcher the latin.

Blackcap Basslet- Gramma melacara- basically a royal gramma that has a black head instead of yellow and it is more expensive about $40 to $60- I think it is slightly more dossile.

Swissguard- Liopropoma rubre- a small basslet with white and red stripe pattern. Very docile but it will eat all your shrimp- a reclusive character as well. Also in the $40-$60 price range

I don't have any marine fish books in my office- just technical manuals so that is of the top of my head info.

NK
04/10/2003, 11:19 AM
Looking for anymore inputs?