PDA

View Full Version : "furry" rocks - Best cleaner?

Jamesurq
04/09/2003, 10:36 AM
My rocks are, for lack of a better term, furry.

the "fur" is dark greenish and doesn't seem to be growing, just kinda there..

I've been meaning to refresh my cleanup crew and was contemplating a few more hermits to help with this....

Anyone recommend what would be my best bet in getting this stuff eaten?

SeanT
04/09/2003, 12:58 PM
ummm...sounds like hair algae James.

Jamesurq
04/09/2003, 01:48 PM
nope. I've got that in my bad algae tank and I had it in AMAZING quantities in my tank right after my cycle. Looks nothing like hair algae. I've got tangs and a LMB and they don't touch it. They all ripped the little hair I used to have to shreads...

But then again - it may be a different strain.... So what do you reccommend?

moongibbon
04/09/2003, 05:39 PM
I have the same problem of furry rocks and have put in some large turbo snails these fellas eat all night and appear to be doing the trick. i found that if the glass is clean they tend to stick to the rocks...

Tennsquire
04/09/2003, 05:44 PM
Critters (snails and [gasp] maybe some scarlet hermits). That, and time. I had a mini plague of that shiny brown wafer algae that kinda plates and makes fronds. I'd remove it, it'd come back. I noticed last night that it had all but disappeared and a hermit was finishing off the last little patch. Most stuff like that will burn itself out over time, assuming your tank husbandry practices are sound. I also keep the pH and the alk high, and I drip lots of kalk. Now, I just have to get my remaining patches of macro algae under control.....

ri
04/09/2003, 05:57 PM
Are there any little air-bubbles trapped in the "fur"? This happens on some of my rock. I've been told it is dinoflagellates.

Jamesurq
04/09/2003, 07:13 PM
bubbles? Not so that you'd notice. Maybe a few - but not a product of this stuff. It seems to be dead, just kinda there.