PDA

View Full Version : Double-End MH Users - Do You Use a UV Shield?

BonsaiNut
04/09/2003, 09:58 AM
For those of you with Metal Halides with double-end bulbs, do you use UV shields? If so, how do you have them configured - i.e. are the MH bulbs in separate fixtures within your hood? If not, have you noticed any issues with your livestock?

Nanook
04/09/2003, 10:00 AM
I have a couple PFO mini-pendants over a 150g rock tank at present. I have always used the UV shields per manufacturer recommendation. I don't want to expose my reef or my family to dangerous radiation.

Nanook

BonsaiNut
04/09/2003, 11:51 AM
Haha do you take them out in the sun ? :)

Nanook
04/09/2003, 11:55 AM
Nope...we are nocturnal ice people of the north.

Nanook:D

But if we did go out, we would wear sunscreen and sunglasses...but in the house the sunscreen smell is kinda strong.

Wilafur
04/09/2003, 12:30 PM
bonsainut, i personally would use a uv shield, if not to protect your own eyes and skin but to protect the life in your tank.

rvitko
04/09/2003, 12:45 PM
The primary difference between DE and SE lamps is the lack of a UV absorbing outer glass envelope. Use without UV is NOT recommended. I do repairs for Giesemann and I wish I had a photo of the nasty skin peeling sunburn I recieved from less than 30minutes exposure to a System 260 Moonlight that I foolishly test fired without lenses after completing an ignitor replacement. I cannot reitterate enough how dangerous these lamps are without shields. The UV output is completely unshielded unlike SE lamps. Like I said a picture would say a thousand words- damn nice farmers tan from a very brief exposure.

BonsaiNut
04/09/2003, 01:52 PM
Ok, I hear you loud and clear on the need for the UV shield. How do people manage the shield over their tank / in their canopy? Do they have the fixture as a "box within a box"? Do they shield the entire canopy? I am curious because I have only used single-ended bulbs previously and am trying to understand how people manage the difference.

rvitko
04/09/2003, 02:11 PM
You really need a fixture, the sockets are tricky and need some play- most are on a special spring loaded mount so they can move in and out to accomodate the bulb- especially the 250W which are a bear to install and remove. I would look at PFO or Champion mini pendants for a retro situation in a hood but I am unsure. I have always used Giesemann pendants and never done a hood installation. The Giesemann pendants cannot be installed in hoods as the body acts as a heat sink to keep proper temperature. I would ask a manufacturer of retro mini pendants for advice.

kennerd
04/09/2003, 02:36 PM
I bought a 36x12 canopy from someone who was running 2x250 and 1x175 pfo pendants hard-mounted into the canopy:
I think this might be along the lines of what you're asking.

http://home.earthlink.net/~obrienken/_uimages/hoodlightingsetup.jpg

I have just purchased a PFO 250 pendant for a grow out tank, and have to admit, they are very compact with overall dimensions of 12x6x3.75.

pi
04/09/2003, 04:10 PM
I have a setup similar to kennard but use the SS Reefoptix III. I love this pendant and it runs very cool. Here is a pic of the hood over my frag tank.

http://www.palmettoreefs.com/gallery/paul/paulhood_5033.jpg