PDA

View Full Version : How many are not using a protein skimmer

J4Life
04/09/2003, 09:46 AM
Ok,
I want to find out how many are not using a protein skimmer in their reef tank setup. I was using a CPR BakPak hang on with my 75 gallon reef tank. I am no longer using any skimmer what so ever.

I am relying totally on the 100+ lbs of LR and 6" DSB to take care of everything with quarterly water changes.

Please let me know your thoughts. I am setting up a poll for this as well.

Thanks in advance,
Bill:p

Zoom
04/09/2003, 10:13 AM
If you have very light bioload and you don't feed the tank much you can get away with out one, but most of as me included over load and overfeed are tanks so need the skimmer to get the staff out I try to go skimmer least it was ok for two months then the algae start taking over. so the skimmer when back to the tank everything is ok now:p

J4Life
04/09/2003, 10:19 AM
Zoom,
Thanks for the comments, I'm not convinced that by not using a skimmer causes algae problems. Over feeding defenitely will. I think too many people in this hobby over feed way too much. I feed heavily, but only every other day.

I only feed frozen brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, & daphia. I also use DT's phytoplakton and I will be culturing my own very soon to reduce the $30's a month cost. That adds up to a lot over a years time frame.

Thanks again,
Bill