PDA

View Full Version : Update #3 - In Wall Tank - Rocks are in!

invincible569
04/09/2003, 09:24 AM
I have been waiting for this day for a LONG time! Too many back orders on my equipment and now I have finally set it up. I will post pics of the back this weekend... I need some cleaning up to do! Just wondering, after my tank has cycled, whats next? A Fauna kit for my refugium?

invincible569
04/09/2003, 09:24 AM

invincible569
04/09/2003, 09:25 AM

invincible569
04/09/2003, 09:25 AM

invincible569
04/09/2003, 09:26 AM

rbaker
04/09/2003, 09:31 AM
Wow! Looking good. Is that an aluminum frame?

Ryan

spsfreak
04/09/2003, 09:33 AM
Very nice...did you do all the work yourself? It looks really good. Congrats

oz
04/09/2003, 09:49 AM
very nice but what's that room in front of the sofa ?

Looks kind of odd without a TV or something there.

Another in wall tank in that room there would be nice though.

jstlsn
04/09/2003, 10:22 AM
WOW. I can't wait until I own an actual house. I don't think my neighbors will like me cutting a hole in the wall of our condo.

Brad

AnnArborBuck
04/09/2003, 10:54 AM
What are the two squares in front of the couch? I am intrigued. Do you have some updated pics (post in gallery maybe) of your equip room?

opihi
04/09/2003, 11:05 AM
very nice! what are the tank specs, and photos of the fish room please.

to answer your question, getting a cleanup/fauna kit would be a good start.

Sylock
04/09/2003, 11:54 AM
Grrrrr! That looks to good for a residence! I am so envious, fantastic look and feel to that! Congratulations.

invincible569
04/09/2003, 12:12 PM
Thank you all for the compliments!! I have worked so hard on this project! Everyday after work, every weekend.. non stop! Have been trying to get it as perfect as possible. Once I get my lines cleaned up from the back, I will post those pics. Should be this weekend.

Opihi, Here are the specs:

100G Tenecor Acrylic - Custom In-Wall
Aquaspacelight 3 - 250 watt HQI Metal Halide with 4 - 24 watt Osram
Euro-Reef CS6-2 Protein Skimmer, 250 gal.
RO/DI - Kent HiS Maxxima 60
Sump - myreefcreations.com
Pump (external) - Iwaki 950gph Japanese
350 watt Titanium Pro-Heat II aquarium heater
Marshall Island Live Rock
Caribsea Aragamax Oolitic Sand

Ann: The two squares are mirrors. I just bought this house, so i still have a lot of fixing up to do like replacing that light! I hate it! :) had to get the fish tank done first though! :) I will have pics of the back this weekend! i am trying to make it as nice as possible.

Oz: My downstairs is just a formal living room.. all the entertainment will be upstairs with TV's and all.

Rbaker: No, its actually wood. I dont know how they painted that to make it look so good! I paid $300 for it.. so I made sure I got the best from a picture frame store.

photobarry
04/09/2003, 12:27 PM
I really like your aquascaping. I plan on doing something really similar with my live rock in my next tank.

-Barry

hubris007
04/09/2003, 12:37 PM
that's pretty sweet. I wonder if i could do something like that in my trailer....

opihi
04/09/2003, 01:14 PM
you mentioned it's a custom tenecor, does it have different dimensions than the regular 100 (60x18x21)? i'm wondering b/c i have the exact same tank in storage, but thought it would be too small for an in-wall tank.

your living room is nice. looks like a trading spaces episode. that's funny that you mentioned the light... i actually noticed that it doesn't quite match w/ the brushed metal look you've got in the room.

Ace
04/09/2003, 01:21 PM
Holy cow! That is just awesome. Someday at my house I will do the same. Do you plan on having tours? :)

Ace

invincible569
04/09/2003, 01:27 PM
Tours? ANYTIME!! Just let me know when you are in Houston.

Opihi: actually its not a custom tank.. I meant custom as in Custom wall tank. But the sides are bent (all once piece from sides to front).. you cant see it in the pics because the border covers it. Mine is a 60x20x18.. VERY Similiar to yours! Why do you have it in storage?? Copy my setup or make it better with your tank! :) I actually think this size tank is perfect size for my house.

Cant wait to show you guys the back part! I love that too! Looks like a chemist lab!!

stereomandan
04/09/2003, 01:46 PM
Looks awesome. You look to have spent a LOT of time planning for this one. Congratulations, and I look forward to a possible future TankOfTheMonth.

Dan

opihi
04/09/2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by invincible569
Opihi: actually its not a custom tank.. I meant custom as in Custom wall tank. But the sides are bent (all once piece from sides to front).. you cant see it in the pics because the border covers it. Mine is a 60x20x18.. VERY Similiar to yours! Why do you have it in storage?? Copy my setup or make it better with your tank! :) I actually think this size tank is perfect size for my house.

i could actually be wrong on the tank's size. it's been in storage for almost a year now. i live in an apartment, and there's not enough room for it.

lakerfan
04/09/2003, 03:11 PM
Looks great! keep us updated with more pics. I love the aquascaping with the open look. How about a big clam as a centerpiece to the tank?

JayS
04/09/2003, 03:13 PM
Looks great, where about's in Houston?

Jay

grafxguy
04/09/2003, 03:42 PM
Very nice. It reminds me allot of my old in wall system. Except I don't see any kids toys on the floor :D

Can't wait to see the behind the scenes pictures. Heck while your at it just give us a tour of the house.

eric

Fliger
04/09/2003, 03:47 PM
Hey, I've followed your threads & progress. Looks fantastic.

Hey, be careful stacking the rock against the acrylic. If the sides are clear and you ever want to sell the tank, this will really take away from the value. Especially if you have a tumble and you get some bad gouges. Then again, it looks like money isn't an issue, so what am I saying!!!

Congrats, get that thing stocked and post more pix!!!! Is it gonna be an SPS or softie or FOWLR tank?

mracroman
04/09/2003, 03:50 PM
Keep up the great work

invincible569
04/09/2003, 04:04 PM
lakerfan, Thank you! .. as for your clam idea, I was planning on doing that. I wanted to get a blue clam.. but I wanted to wait a while until I bought my Korallin Calcium Reactor. I heard clams and SPS use a lot of Calcium. I already have the strong lighting for it.. so once i get my tank cycled and cleaned up, I can start looking into that.

Jays, I live in the Copperfield area. On 290/1960. U?

Fliger, thanks for keeping up with my progress. Its been such a huge project for me. The funny thing, is that I just got started. I want so much more.. like the Calcium Reactor, Chiller (thats next), Extra Refugium that will sit right above my sump, Possibly phytoplankton.. who knows! the ideas are endless. But I also need to get some experience! I feel like I am rushing into things and I need to get the basics down first. Heck, I dont even know how to feed a fish yet! :) I am going to aim for a SPS tank. it will look very beautiful with the ideas I have in mind.

Fliger
04/09/2003, 04:22 PM
You want ideas? Check this website out. You can navigate through the sight from the left side expandable toolbar.

http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/

Evergreen
04/09/2003, 04:52 PM
WOW nice TANK and HOUSE!! I take it you have no small children at home???:rollface: Very tasteful!

DocHoliday
04/09/2003, 06:46 PM
One word... OUTSTANDING! :thumbsup:

JayS
04/09/2003, 06:56 PM
Jays, I live in the Copperfield area. On 290/1960. U?

In The Woodlands, would like to come by some time in the future and see your setup. We have a good reef forum for guys in Houston going on the http://www.marshreef.org/ website. I guess you know the good LFS's in Houston, if not I'll give you the small list.

invincible569
04/10/2003, 08:00 AM
Yes I do have a child.. a 2 year old daughter. I really dont see any problems with having a kid and a nice house. Not sure why others also have that same idea. I guess our kids are different than others. And if something does accidentally break.. it can be replaced.

JayS, you are welcome to stop by sometime. Let me just finish up the back side adn I will get in contact with you so you can stop by on a weekend.

Fliger, thasnk for the website. I actually like the Japanese SPS tanks better! Seen them? they are an eye sore!

Fliger
04/10/2003, 10:30 AM
Yes, I absolutely LOVE the Japanese aquascaping. I hear people frequently say that they don't look "natural" which is complete BS. I have dove reefs all over Asia & I think they look extremely natural, compared to shallow water reefs. Although some do go a little overboard. I also just bought a new Giesemann Pendant so I can have an open top - I love that look.

But quite the opposite, the "wall" look that most Americans go for doesn't really look very natural, IME & IMO.

I actually re-aquascaped my tank last night, to allow an open space in the middle, and more aragonite showing all around the tank. It's difficult in a 55T, just gonna have to get a bigger tank! :D

BTW, I agree with what you say about have a clean house with kids! Our house is extremely "modern", and always clean. You just have to teach kids how to put things away, and to ALWAYS put them away. My sister-in-law, on the other hand - I think uses her kids as rationale why her house is always dirty & messy.