PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Thermos Trading?

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know about trading frags with a Thermos? I've heard it mentioned a few times, but need more detail about what thermos to use and how to send, etc... Who knows some detail?

stereomandan
04/09/2003, 09:26 AM
That's funny, I was just going to post the same question. I'm also interested to hear from the thermos fragging experts.

Dan

johnrags1234
04/09/2003, 10:09 AM
Up up and away!

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 10:20 AM
hey everybody
iwas wondering the same thing saw a bunch of frags people wanted to thermos trade. never have shipped or traded that way.
danny

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 10:36 AM
When I was in the second grade (yesterday), we use to swap thermos for mystery meats.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170275&perpage=20&pagenumber=4

See Calv3 and the corrected response.

Basically you list what you have available, someone else list theirs (list hardier corals, they are being shipped USPS priority mail generally). Usually up to 4 corals will fit nicely in a thermos. Once both parties agree on the trade, cross ship them Priority Mail.

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 10:38 AM
well thats cool . i wish people in this area would do things like that. all they want to do is just sale.
danny

rbaker
04/09/2003, 10:41 AM
Sand man Dan,

[welcome]

Ryan

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 10:42 AM
sand man dan,

It doesn't have to be in your area. Just stick to a general region for best results. ie east coast trade with east coast...

Thats why they are being shipped. Depending on the coral and time of year, cross coast shippments do fairly well too.

Check in this forum for last years USPS trade results and you can see everyone that participated's results. Fairly impressive.

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 10:46 AM
Here is one of them from last year

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69744&highlight=priority+and+mail

There was an "official" results too that I can't find right now.

Eric Boerner
04/09/2003, 10:49 AM
I've done it a couple times. I've only done it with Zoanthids or Macros since they survive the 4 day USPS shipping really well. I have heard it's nearly impossible to do with SPS.

What I've done in the past is list what frags (or polyp colors in my case) I had ready. Then agree with the trade partner with a designated trade. In my case, I've traded loose zoanthid polyps.

I then shipped my polyps in a thermos to the trade partner. They receive the thermos, and send it back with the stuff I wanted.

I use USPS priority. Send it on a Monday or Tuesday. Not Wed, through Sun, since may take longer and they don't deliver on Sundays. Only costs $3.85 to ship per lb. A full Thermos will weigh slightly less than 2 lbs.

I've only done it in the Spring to Autumn months. I've never trusted sending corals this way in the winter months.

It does take a modicum of trust on the part of the initial sender. I have heard of a few instances where the sender, never got anything in return. :( But no one on these boards would do something like that, now would they? :D

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 10:50 AM
Thanks! That helps a lot. For anyone reading, the good info is about half way down the thread. I guess you need a wide mouth thermos.
Next question. Anyone know a good source for a good inexpensive thermos with a wide opening? I guess everyone involved should get a similar one so no one gets screwed. I've seen short thermos' for soup, in the past. I wonder if they still make them?
Also, I guess you just drop it in a USPS priority soft envelope. I'm thinking of one of those fibery almost material envelopes, or do you box it?

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 10:51 AM
Eric,

Lets trade :D

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 10:59 AM
well i would like to do this i have all types of colors in mushrooms several colors of zoos. and some figi sinularia colt and a few others. i like collecting the different colors of shrooms a nd zoos.
so you just bag a few up and put them in like a play mate cooler and ship them. well cool. and thanks for the welcome in to the forum. there is a guy on the club who has many frags for sale his name is shaw . he is a college student majoring in aquatic biology . times are a little tight for him right now and he has alot of frags for sale that would help him out . he has very healthy stock and a very good person. check him out in coral propagation.
many frags for sale.
danny

bmccune
04/09/2003, 11:09 AM
Hey All - I read the past threads about Thermos trading, and it sounds like it can be an inexpensive way to get some really cool stuff!

So - since things are (supposed to be) warming up - why don't we start a list?

I would propose that we do it in the frag trading forum. I would be happy to keep the list of what everyone has, and post it at a certain point in time. I would even be willing to set up a quick (html is not my forte) website with everyone's contact info and a quick blurb with directions on what to do with the thermos.

What do you think? This seems like a very inexpensive way to fill your tank (relative to shipping everything else). It sounds like the success rate is GREAT!

Respond to this thread if you think that you would want to proceed... I will set up a thread in frag trading as soon as we get at least 10-15 interested parties (East/West Coast).

-Brian

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 11:14 AM
Ummm... why start another thread? As posted previously..

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showt...20&pagenumber=4

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 11:18 AM
Maybe split it East coast/Central/West Coast because of Temp. differences. BTW - Thanks bmccune.

Damn! I started this thread and I'm probably the least prepared. I just have small frags that are just starting. C'mon grow! Hopefully I will have something to offer soon. I just started green and pink ricordea, green and blue/green zoos, pink spotted mushrooms and green wagon wheel mushrooms. Maybe if I stare at them they will grow.

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 11:21 AM
i would like to have some pink ricordia
danny

bmccune
04/09/2003, 11:35 AM
barebottoms - please re-send the URL. The one that you put in the last thread doesn't work.

Is someone already organizing this for Spring 2003?

-Brian

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 11:43 AM
I still have one question. What is the best method for actually shipping the thermos by USPS? Do you put it in a manilla envelope? Do you just stick a label on the side of the thermos and smile as you drop it off? Do you box it?

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 11:48 AM
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170275

First one works.
This one works.

That middle one doesn't.

barebottoms
04/09/2003, 11:51 AM
Easily Distracted. In a box. Find a box that will snuggly hold your thermos. Ship the box.

TIP: When using a thermos, the proper way of using one is to bring it to your target temperature first. If the thermos is cold and you put a warm bag there, it will not retain the heat.

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 11:55 AM
I just found this! I think they need a Reef Central Thermos!

Also, Thanks for the Temp. tip. Makes sense but could be easily overlooked.:Dhttp://www.cafeshops.com/reefcentral.5354514

Barebottoms, got another one to add to your sig: "free frags wanted";)

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 01:01 PM
ok im ready as soon as this winter in spring goes away.
i will get a list of some frags i have . a ? need to know different people have different specs on there frags just not to affend anyone i would like to know what they expect asa frag.
danny

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 01:21 PM
I know I'm over analysing this but.....
Most vacuum containers come in glass vacuum or stainless vacuum. Glass is cheap, but easy to break, stainless is stronger, heavier, will the steel effect inverts? Which is better?
Also, the "thermos food containers" are wide mouthed thermos bottles. I would say look for them. The Thermos brand glass vacuum food containers look like a good way to go if the glass holds up to USPS. Any experience anyone?

As far as trading sizes, I would just state exactly what you have:ex - "6 loose blue/orange zoo polyps" or "3 red/purple zoo polyps on small rock" or "1 Orange/purple/green with yellow spots ricordea mushroom on empty snail shell":D

bmccune
04/09/2003, 02:06 PM
Temps are supposed to be between 45 and 65 all week in my area next week. Is this too cold (inside the thermos)? If not, who is ready to trade?

-Brian

sand man dan
04/09/2003, 02:43 PM
hey brian
if we can find out the proper temp. im ready to trade some. im in indiana not real far from you. the ups gets here about 10:am here. the temp right now here is in the 40'S supposed to get in the 70's by the weekend. they say to only ship out on monday or tuesday.
danny

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 04:05 PM
bmp

cal3v
04/09/2003, 06:02 PM
The cheapo styrofoam thermoses work as well. You could also just as easily use a foam insulated box instead and put the corals into their and add peanuts. Also add foam peanuts if your thermos is a bit big for its box. You can work out frag sizes with the person you are trading, usually something like 1"-2" frags are what are traded. Bigger or smaller works too.

bmccune, that sounds a bit chilly for now to trade corals.

bmccune
04/09/2003, 08:53 PM
Danny,

What do you have to trade? Shoot me an e-mail when you get a chance. Maybe we can start this transaction before the weekend gets here?

-Brian

Easily Distracted
04/10/2003, 08:51 AM
Thanks to everyone for the information. If I find a good deal on a good shipping thermos I'll post it. If anyone else finds one please do the same. Now if my softies would just start growing!!... The MH hood is pretty much done so things should start happening soon.

Barebottoms - I have another line or two for your signature.. How about:"Drygoods: WTB prizm skimmer" one line above "FS prizm skimmer"...:D

Phiche Master
05/27/2003, 11:50 AM
Easily, Dont trust the ups man not to drop kick your package, A couple of my friends, load trucks @ UPS and they say mail gets "lost"(destroyed!) all the time.....wooops my foot just went through that box that said fragile:rolleye1: ...Stick with the all plastic!!! Do you have to put it in a box? Is it allowed to be ....Just a thermos. I think it is....mb with some newspaper around it....A box with styrofoam peanuts, might make more insulation?Just my thoughts on the matter

Easily Distracted
05/27/2003, 12:15 PM
Well I did a trade and had some good luck. I found a Thermos brand wide mouth thermos with a plastic liner that covered the vacuum glass part. I made a gasket for the top to be anal. With the cup part unscrewed, it fit perfectly in an 8x8 US postal box. Monday morning I preheated the inside of the thermos (important) then filled it with tank water and a loose plastic bag to keep the frags from banging around, and added a few zoo frags. I closed it up, put tape across the top to keep it from unscrewing, placed it in the box and filled around it with foam peanuts(more insulation). I took it to the post office before work at 8:00am and sent it USPS priority from Long Island to New Jersey. It cost under $5 to ship and it got there the next day in good shape. The following Monday, he sent the thermos back with the traded items. Since it was a mix of zoos and a ricordea, he put them in little ziplocs inside the thermos to keep them from touching. This worked just as well.
I hope this helps anyone who is wondering about Thermos Trading and I hope you have as good an experience as I did.:)

tang_man_montreal
05/27/2003, 12:37 PM
May wanna check this out then...

http://www.frags.org

:D