PDA

View Full Version : cbs killed my fish

ginntonic74
04/09/2003, 08:34 AM
Over the past couple of weeks i have been losing a fish a week. First a f.perculs, them a fire fish goby, then another clown fish. I found them all in the caves i have. I thought that maybe that they got trapped in there and died and also i thought that i had bad water. All my test kits showed the water was normal so i went out and bought new test kits which showed i had good water. Befuddled by my problem i was staring at my tank last night looking at my last two fish wondering what could have happened, then i saw what was happening to my fish. The *&#@ing cbs grabed my last clown and proceded to kill it with his claws. There was noting i could do. By the time i grabbed the net to stop him the clown was dead already. Needless to say guess whos going back to the lfs?

Kara
04/09/2003, 10:41 AM
Unfortunately, CBS are pretty darn destructive. Mine destroys my arrowcrabs and peppermint shrimp even though I feed her twice a day. Did you try feeding your CBS on a daily or bi-daily basis?

I've heard from a few people that if you get a pair of them, the bad behavior is reduced. I don't know if that is true or not.. I'm thinking about taking my cbs back to the LFS also, just because I'm tired of having to buy arrow crabs and peppermint shrimp to replace the ones she rips apart.

SBGRAD24
04/09/2003, 10:51 AM
I've had similar problems in the past, even though most people will tell you they are 'reef safe.'

ginntonic74
04/09/2003, 11:40 AM
I would feed him everyday with krill brine shrimp and a few other things. It seemed like he was stocking up on food for some reason.

colemanitis
04/09/2003, 12:04 PM
I've never had a problem with my CBS killing tank inhabitants, but he'll sure 'reach out' for them when they're in his vacinity. I've had him for 8 months now.

Bastianelli
04/10/2003, 12:19 PM
Alright don't laugh. Can't think of it right now. But whats CBS stand for? :rollface:

brianlena2000
04/10/2003, 12:20 PM
Coral Banded Shrimp :D

sandy
04/10/2003, 12:30 PM
I have had a CBS for 4 years. It is huge. For the past 6 months it is in its own section of my 80 gal refugium. He has 20 gals of sand rock, etc he can roam in. Caught him killing my peppermints, and he literally jumped out at my fish trying to nail them. He got fed heavily along with the rest of the tank. Took a while but I got him as they are pretty darn fast. I didn't want to part with him as they are beautiful. So I did the next best thing.

pappadow
04/10/2003, 01:06 PM
Mine wacked my sally lightfoot last week. I can't decide if he's going back to the store, or just don't get any other crabs. He reaches for my fish but hasn't caught any yet.

kozmo02
04/10/2003, 01:11 PM
I had a CBS in my 30 gallon that was a model citizen.

:D

isseym328
04/10/2003, 01:25 PM
I got a pair of gold coral banded shrimps. I feed them every other day. I think it's correct to assume that when they are in pairs they will do less harm to the tank. They tend to stay close to each other and hid in a hole. I don't have any fish in my tank but I do know they react to anything that gets close to them. btw how big is your shrimp?

ginntonic74
04/10/2003, 01:27 PM
About four inches long.

isseym328
04/10/2003, 01:30 PM
That is one big cbs. cbs definately eat what they can catch. =) My pair is still prety small....an inch each!

photobarry
04/10/2003, 02:50 PM
From what I hear, they tend to get more aggressive as they get larger. My friend had a large one that killed half a dozen chromis in a week or two. The only ones that didn't get killed were the ones that hid near the top of the tank at night.

-Barry