PDA

View Full Version : Lighting a 2 gallon minireef

larsson
04/09/2003, 08:02 AM
I have a 5 watt light in the 2 gallon now that I would like to make a nano saltwater system. Are there any corals that will grow in such a low light level?

rbaker
04/09/2003, 08:14 AM
If you're talking about a 5 watt incandescent bulb, I don't know of any. You could put a little "Mini-Mag" light on your tank. It has 2 - 8 watt PC bulbs, 1- actinic and 1- day bulb. I've used one on a couple of different nanos with great success...

JMO,

Ryan

larsson
04/09/2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by rbaker
If you're talking about a 5 watt incandescent bulb, I don't know of any. You could put a little "Mini-Mag" light on your tank. It has 2 - 8 watt PC bulbs, 1- actinic and 1- day bulb. I've used one on a couple of different nanos with great success...

JMO,

Ryan

That sounds pretty cool. Is it a clip on light or would I need to install it into the hood?

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 08:42 AM
The Mini-Mags are a self contained light fixture. The double one uses two compact U-bulbs that are enclosed in their own housing. It's a small, black, rectangular unit about 5"x9". I am using one now on my 3gal. and the soft corals are very happy and very open. I just sat mine on the rim of the tank. The picture below is before I installed the actinic bulb. I will post a pic with the actinic soon. The difference is remarkable.
Initially, the unit is not cheap for it's size, but you will find uses for it for a long time. I have a couple of them that I have had for 5+ years when they used to make them out of aluminum. I have used them on 20 gal tanks, hospital tanks, breeding tanks, etc.....
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/507/25617SmMicroNano5.JPG

larsson
04/09/2003, 08:48 AM
This is a hexagonal tank though. :(

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 09:31 AM
No problem. If you're worried about placing it, It's a self contained unit. Just get a little creative and put a piece of glass or acrylic across the top and set it on it. These things have amazing power for their size. I've lit up a 20gal with a double and a single and it looked really good.