PDA

View Full Version : black bubble

cjt
04/09/2003, 07:33 AM
My live rock came with a lovely coating of pink red and near black. I have also variously seen feather dusters, worms, small clams and a white creeping sponge over the last few months. Some of these have begun to dissapear as Ive added a skimmer and stock.

Over the last days I have begun to notice small black bubbles sprouting from the rock. I can count at least half a dozen now ranging from 3mm to 1cm accross. All single bubbles and absolutely jet black.

Friend or foe?
No pics I am afraid, digi cam has no zoom :-(

cjt

rbaker
04/09/2003, 07:43 AM
I've seen some Valonia that is very dark. Do a search on "bubble algae" or "Valonia".

HTH,

Ryan

cjt
04/09/2003, 08:00 AM
thank you rbaker, having scanned the pics it is definitely valonia and all advice is get rid of it. Some discrepancy between the reef forums who say that popping them spreads seeds and the scientists in biology who say thats unlikely but heh, its a weed.

Problem is, for those with a mature tank these things are a pest. For us newbies (my tank is 3 months old) the rock anemone' s, valonia, bristle worms and sponges represent life in what is otherwise a great big tank with some rock, half a dozen small fish and an awful lot of water.

Its hard to kill some of the only intereting life you have in your tank. But I know its for the best...

thanks again
cjt

rbaker
04/09/2003, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't underestimate the amount of grief a "few" Valonia bubbles can cause you. I've seen them completely take over a tank. I would get them out of there ASAP!!

JMO,

Ryan