PDA

View Full Version : from Turkey...

TURK
04/09/2003, 04:54 AM
Hello Dr. Shimek,

I am writing to you form TUrkey, Istanbul where I have gotten the chance to pursue this hobby about 3 years ago... Many of what I have learned came from books that I have ordered from the US, and unfortunately nobody gave me any advice when I first decided to build my reef....
In my 3 year old acrylic 165g tank, comprised of fish-softies-LPS, I have noticed a nitrate spike after I added some 20kg of cured rock...my filtration consists of 2-3 inches of aragonite in-tank sand bed-about 1-2mm across (I know you recommend 1/8thmm), Berlin classic skimmer, Trickle filter with Sera brand porous material in it, and some wool material to trap particles coming down to my sump...
Restricted by sump space, I am thinking about buying one of those sand towers, marketed as helping in reducing nitrates....they are basically 24''*7''*7'' acrylic towers filled with fine sand, used to reduce nitrates....DO you think that such a column, having a small surface area but a lot of height (deep bed) will help me in reducing my nitrates, or is it better for me to position a small tank next to my sump with much more conventional dimensions (square or rectangular) to fight against this outbreak?
Sorry for the length of the post, but I really had to get it all out...
Thanx in advance,
Nasri.

rshimek
04/09/2003, 12:51 PM
Hi Nasri,

The sand tower may help, but I really don't know for sure. I have never used one. I am moving your thread to the main Reef discussion in hopes that you will get more advice there.

[moved]

ozadars
04/09/2003, 01:00 PM
Hi Nasri (i must use english)
I m from Turkey too, are u on Deep-nblue forum too? I havent seen u there before?

Keep writing
Talk u later
Take Care
SELĂ?M