PDA

View Full Version : Potential Problem??

L8ndeb
04/09/2003, 01:49 AM
Hi All,

I recently purchased and installed a Southbay SB6-1 skimmer. It is located in my sump next to my refugium.
The skimmer is working good, but I'm a little concerned (maybe unnecessarily so) about coraline growing inside the skimmer. Will this affect effenciency? It's almost impossible to get to it to clean. Does anybody have any easy way to clean this? TIA

kozmo02
04/09/2003, 02:46 AM
it shouldnt effect too much, i have a turboflotor that is loaded with coralline and it works just as good, its hard to clean it because its hard to get your hand in, and the round shape makes it hard to scrape, a credit card would work good, or a kent marine pro scraper. otherwise, it shouldnt be too much of a problem

DaveC
04/09/2003, 05:45 AM
I have a turbo floater also that sits in the sump right new to my
refugium which is lite 18 hours a day which a developed alot of
corraline algea inside it...it is working just the same and when it did not have any inside...I was wondering the same about that and if it would effect the skimmer...but it does not in my case..

DaveC

dattack
04/09/2003, 06:34 AM
Just soak the body of the skimmer in vinegar. Rinse and clean.

:D

Tomzpc
04/09/2003, 08:57 AM
What dattack said. Soak it in a hot water/vinegar solution for a few hours. Then take a long handled bottle brush to it. My wife picked me up one of these at the grocery store and it sure comes in handy for cleaning skimmers!

visualscapes
04/09/2003, 09:03 AM
Yeah you do want to clean it, because it will affect efficiency.