PDA

View Full Version : 300 gallon Rubbermaid People

Nanook
04/09/2003, 01:40 AM
Hello my people!

I am looking for some guidance from the 300g Rubbermaid sump people. How many holes have you drilled in your tank? Any idea what the limit could be? I am thinking of using a 300g Rubbermaid stock tank for a giant sump, it would have to house multiple, multiple bulkheads though. If you have pics to share, feel free to post them or links to your website. Thank you!

Nanook:lol:

Papajin
04/09/2003, 02:32 AM
Those things are pretty rugged. I would imagine it could handle a fair number of bulkheads so long as you don't make the thing look like swiss cheese. :D

Nanook
04/09/2003, 07:00 AM
Thanks...it might be Swiss Cheese when I get done with it. I am concerned about the curviture of the sumps with fitting bulkheads as well.

Nanook

rbaker
04/09/2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Nanook
Thanks...it might be Swiss Cheese when I get done with it. I am concerned about the curviture of the sumps with fitting bulkheads as well.

Nanook

This might be a problem. The only flat place is on the sides. You might be able to make some work at the ends if you use a ton of silicone...:rolleyes: How many bulkheads do you need to use?

Ryan

Nanook
04/09/2003, 07:43 AM
Bulkheads for 3 pumps for main tanks circulation, bulkhead for a skimmer, then holes or bulkheads for 6 2" drain pipes or hoses. That is my general understanding so far.

thanks,

Nanook:)

rbaker
04/09/2003, 08:17 AM
Can you bring the 2" drains over the top instead of thru the side?

Ryan

iceman
04/09/2003, 08:25 AM
I'm using the heavy duty 1.5" bulkheads from www.aquaticeco.com that have the 1/4" thick gasket on the rounded edges of my stock tank without any problems. They cost about $15 but are worth it in my opinion (especially for these situtations).

Nanook
04/09/2003, 09:13 AM
I can bring the drains over the top of the tank if it won't affect the gravity drain rate from the tanks. I don't want to get backed up.
Do you think that would affect drainage? It might only be a 4-6" drop.

Nanook

rbaker
04/09/2003, 09:47 AM
I have my refugium about 16" higher than my sump. However, they way the drain is configured, It's only about a 6" drop to the sump. I'm only moving 1100 GPH but I'm sure it would handle a ton more...

http://www.alltel.net/~bakerr/equip.jpg

HTH,

Ryan