PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae on sand bed

Auger Scope
04/08/2003, 11:57 PM
Hello there:

I have recently noticed that some brown algae showing up on the sand in my 40 gallon reef tank. This tank has been running good for 7 years and just last week when I changed 3 gallons of water.

So far the N03 is below 20 mg/l and the pH is about 8.2. I replaced the Chemi-pure yesterday, hopefully this will help to eliminate this problem.

What could cause this sudden bloom I wonder?

Any input please?

Nanook
04/09/2003, 01:48 AM
Are you using RO/DI water, if so, are the cartridges still good...what is your TDS level?

Have you increased feeding, do your powerheads need cleaning, bulbs getting old with spectral shift, new tank additions????

Just some ideas...if you could tell us more about your particular setup it would be helpful.

Nanook

kozmo02
04/09/2003, 02:49 AM
i agree with nanook, the TDS reading is important, and a change in lighting spectrum or current can cause these, the smallest changes or imbalances can cause the weirdest things in reef tanks....

guess thats what keeps us on our toes

:D

Auger Scope
04/09/2003, 05:52 PM
Hello there,

Thank you very much for the input. The replacement water I use has always been purchased from the same LFS and it had never given me any problem.

The light was replaced in February, and the powerheads are cleaned every month. I did not put any new addition in for a long time. I just wonder what and why caused this bloom of brown algae.

I will observe the tank for a week and see what will happen.

Thank you all for the input.