PDA

View Full Version : which bulkhead?

szwab
04/08/2003, 10:42 PM
A local supplier (Savco) carries 2 types of bulkheads a schedule 80 and another not so heavy duty. These bulkheads are going to be used in the bottom of the tank. They will not be accessible once the sand and rock are in. Normally I'd go with the schedule 80 but the other type would allow me to go from 3/4" to 1" inch and from 1 1/2" to 2" on the returns and drains. What's the expert opinion out there? Heavy duty (maybe overkill) or larger pipes? The tank is a 300 gallon. which obviously I don't want to develop leaky bulkheads in a year. By the way there is a price difference but in this case more money doesn't bother me.

AuroraDave
04/08/2003, 10:44 PM
I used the 1" BH from Savko to move up from the thicker 3/4" BH that came with my 180 to improve flow rates.

szwab
04/09/2003, 12:17 AM
how long have you used them? any problems?

o2manyfish
04/09/2003, 12:52 AM
I have both types on my tank. They have been installed for up to 14 years.

Since an aquarium has very little pressure the SCH80 is overkill. The SCH 80 for high pressure and high temperatures... Things and ranges that your aquarium will never see.

I think the GREY ones look nice if your doing a detailed plumbing job. But for effectiveness and longevity either type is more than adequate.

Dave

szwab
04/09/2003, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the advise.. I think I'll go with the "cheaper" ones.
As they say bigger ias always better. Especially when you are talking reef tanks!!!