PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

dvups1
04/08/2003, 09:48 PM
I bought a used 1/4 Aqualogic deltstar chiller on ebay back in Decemder last year and let it sit in my garage for 3 months. I decided to plumb it since summer is just around the corner and low-n-behold it didn't cool the tank. I took it to a buddy of mine who owns an AC and heat shop and he shows me that all the coolant leaked out due to a cracked fitting. I called Aqualogic and the part needed to repair the unit is $264. Here is my question. Would you sink another $264 into a chiller you already paid $350 for or would you cut your losses and go for another unit? I tried to get in touch with the guy who sold it to me but believe it or not I can't find him. :(

johnrags1234
04/08/2003, 09:49 PM
Id buy another if at all possible.

John

JDS
04/08/2003, 10:40 PM
I agree get a new one.

RooFish
04/08/2003, 10:59 PM
definitely a new one

Reefadict
04/08/2003, 11:23 PM
Its a fitting that is cracked and the fitting cost 264.00. I would think that if its part of a cooling system that the part is used on other things other than chillers. Did your friend say it was a part he could get? Is the part metal? If so I would think that a good metal shop could sodder it or weld it for much cheaper.

dvups1
04/08/2003, 11:47 PM
The fittings just happens to be where the 1" titanium tube comes out of the PVC heat exchange housing and connects to the copper tube. He tried to weld the copper and titanium together and eliminate the fitting altogether but copper doesn't weld to titanium. I called Aqualogic and they said that is why there is a fitting there in the first place.