PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Nano broke during maintance have to do an emergency transfer to 75!

Sylock
04/08/2003, 09:43 PM
I was planning on doing the change anyway, but I broke the nano and have to transfer most of the stuff tonight. They are all in little tuperware bowls and my house is 68 degrees. Should I still try to acclimate _real_ slow? I know some things can be put in quicker. Here's the list of things that have to make the transition:

Clarkii Clown
Royal Gamma
Serpent Star
2 Hermit crabs
Red Brain
Assorted Acro
Assorted Monti

I've been taking about 10% of their water from their dishes and putting the same volume from the new tank back into their dishes every 10 minutes and have done it 3 times now. Should I do 20% at a time so the water doesn't get to cold? What things are less sensitive. I'm in panic mode here sorry.

Reefadict
04/08/2003, 09:54 PM
I would add the coral to the tank and maybe the cleanup crew. I personally try and get a temporary home other than the new tank for the fish. If you add fish to a brand new system you may get a cycle and with corals in a cycling tank your in trouble. Only corals in the tank there is no bioload so you dont have to worry too much. Just try and make sure the parameters and temp. are as close to perfect before you add the coral. As for the fish I would add 1 once a week to every 2 weeks giving the bacteria time to catch up with the bioload. Best of Luck! Oh yea the fish should be O.K. in a bowl with some type of circulation or airstone until tomorrow when you can pick up a cheap 10gal. And if the water is good in the new tank then I personally would use the Nano water for the fish.

Sylock
04/08/2003, 10:01 PM
It's a 75 gallon with 100+ lbs of live rock that is completely cycled. The 1 inch Clarkii and the 1 1/2 inch Royal Gramma shouldn't do much as far as bioload to the 75. The thing I'm worried about is everyone getting cold before the acclimation is completely finished. I've done 4 ten minute 10% water changes now. I'm more nervous about the star, then fish, then corals.

Reefadict
04/08/2003, 10:05 PM
Isnt the tank on a heater? You should turn it all the way to get the water up to about 77-78. Maybe turn the stove on and leave the animals on a table next to the stove until the tank is warm enough.

Reefadict
04/08/2003, 10:07 PM
Forgott to add that you obviously need to use good jugement if placing them by a warm stove, you dont want to over due it!

Sylock
04/08/2003, 10:12 PM
The heater is in the tank, but the animals are all in little tuperware containers until acclimation is done.

visualscapes
04/08/2003, 10:15 PM
Can you float the containers in the tank, or do you have any bags lying around to float the animals in the 75?

SeaMermaid
04/08/2003, 10:18 PM
I understand your love for your tank friends.. But I had a star in a nano that I transferred without acclimating. He grew very large.., I gave him away because he was a predator. I would worry more about the fish. That's only my opinion.

Sylock
04/08/2003, 10:22 PM
Unfortunatly I only have one bag and it has the Royal Gramma in it floating. The specific gravity is exactly the same in the containers and the 75 now though. Am I safe? I know it's not optimal but I'm worried that if they are out of a stable environment long then that would be worst.

visualscapes
04/08/2003, 10:27 PM
Id let out the gramma and float the clown for 15 min, and I think you could safley put the corals in.

Sylock
04/08/2003, 10:48 PM
Ok, I've done it. 1 1/2 hours acclimation. Let them rest for tonight and see how they are tomorrow. Here's hoping!