PDA

View Full Version : Powerheads going down the crapper

FunkieReefJunkie
04/08/2003, 08:55 PM
I'm having a unusual problem... maxi-jet powerheads are crapping out on me consistently. They may last 3-4 months. The normal routine cleaning with vinegar and water or giving the powerhead a little tap against the side of a bucket (after all else has failed) does not help. Yesterday I lost another 1200 and it showed no signs of calcium build up. I find this mind boggling since I own a maxi-jet older than ten years which still works like new. I noticed on a couple of the new ones the top plastic just falls off. Is the quality associated with maxi-jets dropping or is there something else at play here? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated... by the way I am not using a wave maker and I use a Belkin surge protector for all equipment. :mixed:

Mako
04/08/2003, 08:58 PM
That is kind of odd now isn't it. I do believe something is amiss with the quality control here as of late. I have had two crap out on me in the last 6 months and both were less than a year old. :(

johnrags1234
04/08/2003, 09:24 PM
That is strange. I have three that have been working flawlessly for 3 months, I hope they dont go down hill. Good thing I filled out the warranty card.

John

ri
04/08/2003, 10:44 PM
I have two that are 1+ year old and 4 that are about 6 months old. All working fine. I also have 3 or 4 more on order (no, I really don't remember how many).

Aquarium Systems was recently acquired by Marineland...

ri

FunkieReefJunkie
04/09/2003, 02:30 PM
Well I'm at a loss... loss of money that is :rolleye1: At 18.95 a pop + tax x4 I'm going to give in and try the 1250 Eheim. It's disappointing... always considered mj to be the Honda of powerheads. I would think if there was some sort of electrical anomoly other equipment would show the effects as well... but I'm no electrician :confused:

SBGRAD24
04/09/2003, 02:50 PM
Maybe Rio bought out Maxi-Jet :)

oz
04/09/2003, 02:51 PM
I'm curious. Why is everyone using maxi-jet or why did you buy Maxi-jet to begin with ? I'm using two Hagen's Aquaclear Powerhead 802. They rate at 400 gallon per hour. I compared prices/features, the Maxi-Jet was more expensive and pump less gallons per hour. Other than this recent problem mentioned is it supposedly a better powerhead ?

Easily Distracted
04/09/2003, 03:05 PM
I've been using the Hagens for a long time. I think we are the only ones on this board. I have ones that are at least 5yrs old. I have replaced an impeller here or there or gotten the next size up impeller to boost output, but no problems ever.