PDA

View Full Version : EVIL BTA...Mont. Cap. Question

aj2001
04/08/2003, 08:08 PM
Well my 8" bta decided to move the other night for the first time in six months......He moved in pretty much a staight line...
Casualties:
1 pink stylaphora frag ( he was "glued" to when I got up)
1 Awesome green hydnophora
half of a 12"+ pink colt
and half of my growing yellow mont. Cap.(scroll)
Question is half is bleached, any way to frag it and split whats left to save it. Never fraged one before....
Thanx
Aj

tentacle
04/12/2003, 02:39 AM
Hi Adam,

I'm sorry about what happened. There's no problem in fragging the yellow Turbinaria. I think the Stylo might recover, don't trash it. I'm surprised the Hydno was badly hurt, they are a very aggressive coral in their own right. I had a long tentacle anemone brushing against mine for at least one day and there was no effect on the Hydno at all. There are many species of Hydnophora though, I think the species I have is pretty resilient. I think the Colt coral will be fine as well. Good luck in the future. As long as there are no big environmental changes, a BTA will usually stay put once it has found it's initial spot IME.

melev
04/12/2003, 02:43 AM
:rolleyes:

melev
04/12/2003, 02:44 AM
Tentacle, do you think he should run some carbon in his system after this event? I'm sure several corals slimed in reaction to the BTA stings.

Python73
04/12/2003, 02:47 AM
AJ - if that is a monti cap, then you can frag it simply by breaking it. It will snap under gentle pressure. If it is a scroll coral (turbinaria) then I THINK you can do the same, but not sure. I've fragged minti before but not scroll.

S !

Old Yeller Tang
04/12/2003, 02:50 AM
I had my tube anemone sting the tips of my hydnophora, bleaching the tips. It fully recovered in two weeks. As for my scroll, I almost made the mistake of tossing it out after it fell on a plate coral a year ago. Well, it was pretty much completely dead with just edges living. I decided to give it a chance w/o doing any fragging and now those edges are forming into a nice looking shape. I'll try to find before and after pics.

aj2001
04/12/2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys,heres the update:
Stylaphora completely gone, just a white stick
hydn,tips bleached, otherwise looking ok
Colt still shriveling,hoping but doesnt look good.
The monti looks strange, half bleached, half alive w/ polypls even extending.
I think the BTA was telling me its time to change my mh bulbs.
thanx guys
Aj

tentacle
04/12/2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by aj2001
I think the BTA was telling me its time to change my mh bulbs.
Very smart assumption, and that could be the case. Good luck in the future Adam.

Marc, no need to run GAC really, but can't hurt either. If it were me I'd just continue to run my GAC on it's regular schedule.