PDA

View Full Version : leather help

bnum1
04/08/2003, 06:39 PM
Purchased a new leather last week. It has gone through a shed phase but still hasn't opened out. Another leather I have had for several weeks is doing great. How long do they take before they open back up after sheding and adjusting?

wpbfishguy
04/08/2003, 06:58 PM
I recently pruchased a leather that turned dark and had a crystalline look to it for about 8 days. I thought that it was dead but it opened up the morning of the 9th day has done GREAT ever since. I don't know if 8 days is long but that is the longest that I have experienced.

bnum1
04/08/2003, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I'll keep my fingers crossed. I sure hope it comes out of it.

ri
04/08/2003, 10:54 PM
bnum1,

Unless the coral is turning black and/or falling apart, I would not worry too much. Some leathers to do exactly as you have described when moved to a different tank. Seems to be their way of adjusting to the tank/water conditions.

You may want to relocate the coral to a location within your tank with more (or less) light and/or water flow. Might help...

ri

fish esq.
04/09/2003, 08:09 PM
Have you checked your water parameters? After my leather stayed closed for over 1 week after purchase, I did a water test the discovered that nitrates were a little high. Three water changes now, it has grown considerably. Don't overlook the obvious.