PDA

View Full Version : Kwik Kit - Calcium Test

MikeTV1
04/08/2003, 05:39 PM
When a Calcium test kit is too old, do you just get inaccurate readings or is it possible for the reading to turn immediately blue before the "counting drops" steps. I have tested Tank, tap, and RODI water now and all go straigt to blue. Not sure if the instructions are just printed wrong or if the test may be expired, even though it was just purchased. (By me, who knows when the vendor got it)

Any thoughts?

MikeTV1
04/08/2003, 10:09 PM
bumpin my own thread. lol

MikeTV1
04/09/2003, 05:42 PM
I sent an email to Marine Enterprises yesterday around 4:30pm and was pleasantly suprised to receive a phone call from them today aroun 2:30p. The guy I spoke with said he had never seen a kit do this before and verified that everything I had done so far was proper procedure for testing. They offered to send me a replacement kit and it should be here soon. I will keep this post updated, but it should probably move to vendor experiences I think at this point. And in that respect, Marine Enterprises is impressing me already.

Dan

ri
04/09/2003, 06:03 PM
I'm always surprised when I hear someone go above and beyond to assist a customer.

I don't know how long all kits last but the Salifert kits I use will last 5+ years when the regiments are closed tightly. I doubt I'll have a kit last that long but it's nice to know they'll be good when I need them.

ri

Habib
04/10/2003, 02:23 AM
Mike:

It could be that your calcium is quite low.

With the Kwik Kit you could do the following:

Add the water sample and then the powder, Mix it for a few seconds.

Now add the drops. Hopefully at a certain point it will turn red/pink and then turn blue again.

If the turning to blue happens before the 10 drops when using 2 ml of sample or 5 drops using 1 ml of sample then the calcium is below 200 ppm.

HTH