PDA

View Full Version : 2 sea swirls same pump

pumpdogs
04/08/2003, 04:47 PM
I tried using 2 seaswirls fed by my little giant pump (1160gph).I simply used a tee but I have a million air bubbles has any body tried this before.

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:38 PM
I have 2 3/4" Sea Swirls on my GRI 518 return pump.

Funny you mention it, I also have a microbubble problem. I've tried taking my plumbing apart and redoing it...no luck. FWIW, I use pvc....I'm going to try flex tubing instead.

bmcq
04/08/2003, 05:42 PM
Are you picking up air from your sump? How is the suction for your pump setup? How close to the surface are your return tubes?

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by bmcq
Are you picking up air from your sump? How is the suction for your pump setup? How close to the surface are your return tubes?

I know if my case, the air isn't coming from the sump. I have a few baffles before the last chamber where the bulkhead feeding the pump is located. My return tubes are about 1.5" from the water surface. It doesn't look like its drawing air from the surface but I could be wrong. Are extensions available?

bmcq
04/08/2003, 05:59 PM
for my sump pickup I have a 90 elbow turned down to help reduce bubbles and for the main tank I have locline attached to my return lines. If I get the end of the locline too close to the surface I get bubbles! I like to put the ends just below the surface and turned up slightly to "churn" the surface. It also works well to set up counterflows between the two returns!!

Wilafur
04/08/2003, 06:09 PM
i ran 2 SS's off a mag18 on a closed loop. no bubbles at all. make sure the connections are tight because a hole smaller than a pinhead canse cause air to be sucked into the piping cause it is under pressure.

pumpdogs
04/08/2003, 07:06 PM
I am using tygon and a tee fitting.If I do not use the tee and have it hooked straight from the pump to 1 sea swirl I have no bubbles at all.I tried to use a mag 12 for 1 sea swirl and the little giant for the other but I had a bubble problem then to.What is a closed loop?

L8ndeb
04/09/2003, 12:57 AM
I've got 2, 1/2" Swirls coming from a Mag 12 on my 60 gal. No air bubbles. It's all PVC setup. I 2nd the check your connections post. Especially down at the pump itself. Most likely pulling in air at the pump. Good Luck.

SeanT
04/09/2003, 08:32 AM
I have two seaswirls running off of a mag 18 with no micros.
I second what bmcq said about the elbow.