PDA

View Full Version : What is the best skimmer for a 120, Ev 180?

bubareefer
04/08/2003, 04:28 PM
I setting up a 120 gallon reef tank. I was wondering what type of skimmers would best suit me. I have 12 small fish and a 3" tang. I am running a berlin classic turbo but I think I could do alot better. I was thinking about getting a AquaC 180 EV with ozone fitting. I am open to suggestions.

Mak71
04/08/2003, 04:35 PM
What about Euro Reef CS8-2?? It seem everyone saying that's a pretty good one.. :strooper:

CBOYFAN2020
04/08/2003, 05:46 PM
i havea new 120 and I am going to use the Kent Nautilus TE. Rated for tanks to 300 gallons and have only heard good things about it. I also got it brand new for $125 shipped. Cant beat that!:eek:

ENS
04/08/2003, 06:17 PM
I use an EV-180 on a 75gl (yeah, skimmer is a bit larger than necessary, but I didn't want to have to replace it next time I upgrade tank size).

I think they are well built and do not require any maintenance, except cleaning the collection cup and tube chamber area directly below the collection cup. My only word of caution is that the pump you use can really effect the efficiency of the skimmer. The manuel lists the four or five recommended pumps. One of the pumps is a RIO3100 -- I used this and found that it just isn't enough and made the skimmer inefficient. As soon as I changed to a more powerful pump (Mag), the skimmer started working much better.

Hope this helps.

mjh
04/08/2003, 07:21 PM
Have a EV240 on a 200g and love it. Does a great job easy to maintain.

WIKI2ECHO
04/08/2003, 08:00 PM
Bubba
Setup a 120aga with 40g sump few weeks ago. Big decision was between Aqua ev240 or Euroreef CS8-1. Well the Euroreef won on reputation but mainly on space considerations (Height) and I can tell this skimmer is a workaholic. It never stops pulling junk until the tank is clean and sits there waiting for more. As my bioload increases, I'm sure I'll be glad I have that extra capacity. Good luck, it's a tough choice...I know ...Iwas there not too long ago.

Bill :p

Bushman
04/08/2003, 08:05 PM
Have an EV 180 on my 125 and it does great! I'm very happy w/ my decision.

moonpod
04/09/2003, 11:27 AM
got an ev 240, it's great. low maintenance, externally plumbed, low noise, high junk production. AquaC is a great company w/a great product. don't get me wrong, the ER that was mentioned above is a good unit as well, though I wouldn't call their customer service the friendliest in the world (search threads for complaints, they're there). Also, I'm not convinced you're getting more for your money than if you went for one of the ER knockoffs--it's not like ER gives you stellar support or anything--at least nothing like the type of support aquac gives. Agree w/the be careful about your pump note--I have used a blueline 800 and a CSL T3 on my EV240 and it works pretty well, but a little more juice would make it work better I'm sure.