PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Tunze Stream Pump

eddiem
04/08/2003, 04:18 PM
I bought the Tunze Turbelle Stream 6080 and am having a heck of a time trying to securely mount it on my Oceanic tank. I was wondering if anyone has any tips.

The adapter doesn't open wide enough to loop it over the edge. I also tried mounting it to the small plastic lip around the tank using the acrylic mounting diagram....no luck (not enough grip.)

the first day I had it, it fell off and landed in my sand.....I haven't been able to see my tank for 2 days now due to the sand storm.

For those of you wondering, The 6080 is much more powerfull than the ReefTec PE-1. However, I think I liked the flow patern of the Reeftec better. The Reeftec seemed to have a broader flow patern which I like very much. The Tunze also has a broad pattern but not as broad as the ReefTec. I like how you can point the Tunze in any direction and the height is easily adjustable. The build quality of Tunze is also top notch....Now if only I can get it to securely mount to my tank.

moonpod
04/08/2003, 04:23 PM
pm rvitko. There's a like $5 adaptor kit to make the thing mount to oceanics.

DT's_Reef
04/08/2003, 04:27 PM
Yes, ask Roger Vitko for the kit. I have it and it mounts perfectly, and is very secure.

rvitko
04/08/2003, 04:37 PM
Page 17- Illustration B- Rim Type Oceanic- use accessory kit 3000.244. Marine Depot, Champion and Premium all have these in stock.
Let me know if you need any further help. The kit is about $3.25.

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:09 PM
Thanks guys, I just ordered the kit...cost me more for shipping than the kit itself :rolleyes:

rvitko
04/08/2003, 05:26 PM
I really try to get all the dealers to ask about set up so they can get you the right parts when you order. I am very sorry for the inconvenience but someday if you need help again you know where to reach me.

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by rvitko
I really try to get all the dealers to ask about set up so they can get you the right parts when you order. I am very sorry for the inconvenience but someday if you need help again you know where to reach me.

Thanks again...no big deal. ;)

rvitko
04/08/2003, 05:40 PM
Eddie,

Be sure to clean out the drive unit of any sand once the water clears. That sand can really foul up the parts if it isn't removed.

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:46 PM
Eddie,

Be sure to clean out the drive unit of any sand once the water clears. That sand can really foul up the parts if it isn't removed.

Roger,

Are there instructions in the manual on how to clean out the drive(don't have it with me)?...is it just a matter of removing the screen and rinsing it? I disconnected the unit after it fell so it hasn't been running in the sandy water. Hopefully, there isn't much sand in there.

rvitko
04/08/2003, 05:50 PM
Pages 28 and 29. Really simple- remove the screen, pull on the prop and the whole magnetic drive unit comes out. It should come out easily if their is resistance the brakes are negaed and you will have to turn the prop to disengage them.

eddiem
04/08/2003, 05:53 PM
Pages 28 and 29. Really simple- remove the screen, pull on the prop and the whole magnetic drive unit comes out. It should come out easily if their is resistance the brakes are negaed and you will have to turn the prop to disengage them.

Thanks Roger

To be honest with you, this was my first Tunze product but with this type of customer service...it definately won't be my last.

Keep up the great service :thumbsup:

PetConnection
04/09/2003, 11:10 PM
Just wanted to add:

I have a 120 gallon glass oceanic...48 x 24 x 24. I was able to affix my Tunze 6110 pump to the frame, by modifying the directions. Longer screw mounts on top hole, shorter in back, and both brace each other so pump does not sway regardless of flow!

photobarry
04/09/2003, 11:56 PM
PetConnection:

How do you like the flow from it in your tank. I will be getting a 90g tank that is 4ft long soon and was wondering if a Stream would be too much flow.

-Barry

PetConnection
04/10/2003, 12:11 AM
photoberry,

I have a mostly SPS tank. My Xenia and clams may have to be moved to more lower-flow areas of the tank. I will have to see how they react.

I would not put it on a tank that was LPS or lower flow Softies... Mixed soft corals and SPS are good for it.

BTW, I have the pump on one end blowing towards the opposite end (48") end..

DT's_Reef
04/10/2003, 12:47 AM
Photobarry -- I have a 90 gallon tank and have two 6100 Streams run by the Multichannel controller. I dial down the flow.

You can easily get by with one pump, but it would probably be best if you get it with a single controller so you can vary the flow, pulse, etc.

Darin

photobarry
04/10/2003, 01:02 AM
My next tank would be nearly all SPS with maybe a brain or 2. I was originally thinking of having a really complicated closed loop but I think a stream would generate more flow and be much simpler to implement. I was thinking of the 6110 kit that comes with the controller. What other forms of circulation are you guys using?

Thanks for the advice.

-Barry

PetConnection
04/10/2003, 10:01 AM
Barry,

I'm also using an Iwaki 30 RLXT Pump that is hooked up to my sump. A Gen-X is hooked up on a closed loop. When all 3 are going my fish sure do get a workout! My Xenia doesn't like it much, but the SPS sure do!

Brett

photobarry
04/10/2003, 11:42 AM
I'm planning on doing the Iwaki for the return pump as well. I'll probably hook it up to a SCWD to get some oscillating type flow. I figure between that and one Stream in the tank I should be good. I'm just trying to eliminate having to get a bunch of other pumps/powerheads. The Tunze streams are pricey but if I add up the cost of a closed loop pump and all the necessary plumbing then the prices start to look pretty comparable. I really like the low wattage of the streams. The utilities at my house are already expensive enough.

-Barry