PDA

View Full Version : acclimatation GONE BAD!!!

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 04:03 PM
Hi,

Today I got home to find my etropicals.com order. I opened the bags (poor things have been in those bags until I got home... 4 hours!) and decided to acclimatate the Royal Gramma and two fighting conchs as the manual said, for once. (I usually drip acclimatate).
Well I went down into the basement to check to see if the q-tank was ready, and when I came back up the fish bag was overturned and floating through the tank, with no gramma in sight! The fighting conchs were also submerged in tank water. I pulled the gramma's bag out, hastily acclimatated the conchs again (since they were pretty much swamped with display tank water) and dropped the conchs in.

Well it's an hour later and there's no sign of the fish, although the conchs are moving around (well... at least one is...)

I'm hoping the gramma doesn't break out with a parasitic infection. Luckily, I only have one other fish in the 75g tank -- a Ocellaris clown. And Gramma loreto's are among the hardiest of fish....

You think this will be okay? Anything I should do?

It could've been worse....
TIA
RE

Flame*Angel
04/08/2003, 05:14 PM
It was a fast acclimation but I don't think there's much you can do at this point. Conchs often don't move much their first few days in the tank so don't worry about them yet. It's hard to say for the gramma, they are tough but it probably depends on the shipping experience that particular fish had. Let us know how it goes.

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 05:34 PM
Eh.... I hope it does okay. As for the conchs, I can't even find them anymore. The lights are off, but they either moved outta my sight, or buried in the sand.

Keepin my fingers crossed!

RE

CBOYFAN2020
04/08/2003, 05:42 PM
he is probably just hiding as he just got shipped across the country and left on somebodies doorstep. He will come out when he gets his bearing. I acclimate by dropping a cup of tank water in the bag every thirty minutes 3-4 times. Never lost anything.

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I would have liked to acclimmatate longer... but the gramma kinda went outta the bag without my permission... darn renegade fish...

:D

RE

lakerfan
04/08/2003, 06:23 PM
That happened to me a couple of times as well, until my cousin gave me some Clothes Hanger clips to use on the bag and the canopy/tank. Since then, I've never had any new things fall in the tank.

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 06:42 PM
Did your fish that fell in survive?

TIA

RE

bshannon26
04/08/2003, 07:23 PM
i wouldn't worry about it.. i lean toward the accimilation is a bad thing theory and getting them out the bag the sooner the better.. i'm not gonna say u should do the same but i've not killed anything yet by dumping my new creatures through a net and then into the tank.

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I hope so. I just wish I was there when he fell out so I would know where he was... so I could see him.

Thanks
:D

RE

despair
04/08/2003, 07:49 PM
yeah clothes pins help until they fly off..

ReefEze
04/09/2003, 02:35 PM
I found him today! After 10 minuates of looking around I was about to go to the PC and declare him MIA... but then I dropped in a third a cube of mysis shrimp, and he peeked outta cave.

He's hiding under a cave now, but thats perfectly normal for newly introduced fish... especially grammas.
Man, these are truely awsome looking fish!

:thumbsup:

RE

lakerfan
04/09/2003, 03:07 PM
Good to hear that everything's okay!

Sylock
04/09/2003, 03:58 PM
I had to quickly put my gramma from my nano to my 75 last night ... very quickly if you get my meaning. He was out of water for about 3 minutes and then was very very stressed as I was acclimating him in the 75. I didn't see him this morning and am very nervous. I will be getting home at about the time the lights go out on my tank and am really, really, REALLY hoping to see the little bugger. I'm glad yours has made it this far. Does that mean he's made it?

Flame*Angel
04/09/2003, 04:23 PM
ReefEze - So glad to hear your gramma is ok! They aren't rare or anything but I totally agree, they are one of the most awesome looking fish - and a perfect reef inhabitant too.

ReefEze
04/09/2003, 05:30 PM
Heres the best pic of him I could get in 10mins. I crawled into the room, and zoomed in all the way... He's still kinda shy, ou have to approach him slowly... but thats pretty common.

ReefEze
04/09/2003, 05:31 PM
:thumbsup: