PDA

View Full Version : Question for Koralin 1502 owners - input pump

Avonlea,PA
04/08/2003, 04:03 PM
I have a question for anyone running a Koralin 1502 Calcium Reactor.

What pump do you use to feed the reactor? The instructions recommend a Maxi-jet 400.

I was going to use a Mini-jet 404 (only 4 gallons/hr difference).

Also, how do I reduce the 1/2" ID hose that comes from the pump to the (roughly) 3/16" ID input to the reactor? I tried looking for reducers, but neither HD or Lowe's has them. USPlastics has one that goes from 1/2" to 1/4" that might work, but I don't want to spend $ for shipping a .25 cent part if it's not going to work.

Any help would be appreciated. If you have pics, that would be even better!

rvitko
04/08/2003, 04:08 PM
Marine Depot sells some reducer T's for this application that you can just plumb in to your main return. Personally I have always just drilled and tapped my PVC return line and then installed a plastic 1/8" MPT to 3/16" airline connector. Sears has a descent selection of taps and dies.

DocHoliday
04/08/2003, 04:15 PM
I have had a 1502 running since Dec. 02. I wrote Koralin about a feeding pump and they said not to use one. That a siphon is the best way to feed the 1502 Ca reactor.

So far no problems. It takes water from the display and empties into my sump.

TrevDog
04/08/2003, 04:40 PM
I have had a 1502 running since Dec. 02. I wrote Koralin about a feeding pump and they said not to use one. That a siphon is the best way to feed the 1502 Ca reactor.

Interesting. The instructions clearly state that a feeding pump ensures consistent operation of the reactor or some such language. I've been using a Rio 50 mostly because the airline tubing fits perfectly. The downside is that microbubbles (I haven't figured out how to reduce them yet) get fed into the reactor. After a day or so, the reactor loses its siphon.

DocHoliday - was it Axel who responded to your inquiry? He's pretty cool - helped me figure out that my check valve was frozen shut.

TrevDog

Avonlea,PA
04/08/2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by rvitko
Personally I have always just drilled and tapped my PVC return line and then installed a plastic 1/8" MPT to 3/16" airline connector. Sears has a descent selection of taps and dies.

I think I like that idea. One less pump to worry about, and one less electrical outlet taken up. I'll have to look into it. Thanks.

DocHoliday
04/08/2003, 04:56 PM
Yeah I noticed in the directions that the "preferred" way was to use a feeding pump. That's why I shot them an email asking which one they would recommend. They told me that the instruction were not updated and that the siphon is now the preferred method.

Go figure.:rolleyes: