PDA

View Full Version : ESV Bionic Doser???

maxxII
04/08/2003, 03:46 PM
Anybody use one of these?
I'm going to be running a Calcium reactor, but thats a little ways off and these sounded like a less expensive/less complicated, (fill and forget) temporary fix...so anyone w/ experiance? Do they work as advertised? Are they a pain in the @ss? Will owning one make me the coolest kid in school?
All feedback is welcome....THX

eddiem
04/08/2003, 04:30 PM
I use MTC's version.

I've seen both of them. MTC's build quality is better but the principal is the same. I've been using mine for nearly 5 years now....no problems. Once you determine the amount, its just a matter of setting the doser. From there on, all you need to do is top off the unit every couple of months.

I have mine on a timer to run for 2 minutes every night. Basically the timer turns on an air pump which forces air in to the chamber...thereby forcing the set amount of additive in to the tank. Really simple.

Let me know if you have any questions.

maxxII
04/08/2003, 06:07 PM
MTCs version? I don't follow...could you give me more info?
BTW...Semper Fi!!
I was stationed out at 29 palms w/ 3rd LAR BN for 4 years...
really enjoyed it...my buddies are overseas right now...part of me wishes I was w/ em....but then again, I've made all the sand castles I ever want to make....

ericwgoh
04/08/2003, 06:11 PM
I can't help you with the ESV model but I am using a dosing pump from Innovative Aquatics.

http://www.reefdosingpumps.com

I purchased mine from www.marinedepot.com

Basically they are reconditioned medical devices. It's not a low cost solution, but they do allow for a nice slow addition of the solutions. My unit it set to deliver 4ml of each component every hour (24 hours a day).

It's a nice product if you have fairly high calcium requirements and you don't want to spike your pH by adding a ton of B-Ionic at once.

When I upgrade to a larger tank where I would use a calcium reactor, I will likely keep this unit and use it to dose other things.

I don’t know about how the unit will wear though as I have only had it for a few weeks.

Eric

eddiem
04/08/2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by maxxII
MTCs version? I don't follow...could you give me more info?
BTW...Semper Fi!!
I was stationed out at 29 palms w/ 3rd LAR BN for 4 years...
really enjoyed it...my buddies are overseas right now...part of me wishes I was w/ em....but then again, I've made all the sand castles I ever want to make....

MTC is a manufacturer (excellent equipment). They make a dosing unit designed for 2 part additives. Here is their web address: www.marinetechnical.com

Here is a pic:
http://www.eddiesreef.com/Images/Equipment/Double_Doser.jpg

I'm sorry to hear that you were stationed at 29 palms ;) I was there for a training excercise (good ole Camp Wilson). Makes me wonder how people get places like Hawaii or Coronado....then others get 29 Palms. I think its a conspiracy :D

Semper Fi

JRF
04/08/2003, 07:36 PM
Hi,
I have been using the ESV doser for a year or so on a small tank. Works fine and is reliable.
JRF

tanksalot
04/08/2003, 07:55 PM
Eric:
The unit will last for years (the only moving part is the motor/rotor combo) and with a high-volume tubing set can pump 300 mL/hour per channel.

frankk
04/08/2003, 08:00 PM
I've been using an MTC doser for my B-Ionic since fall of 1999. Never a problem. It works by air displacement to push a consitant dose every time. Just takes a cheap dual-output air pump and a plug-in lighting timer.

Keeps dosing whether I'm at home or not. It's well built and one of the best purchases I ever made.

maxxII
04/08/2003, 08:10 PM
Frank and JRF...
have you guys noticed a PH spike when adding Bionic to the aquarium? Frank, does the MTC varient have room for both parts of Bionic?

Bob F
04/08/2003, 08:32 PM
I also am using the ESV doser for several months and am very pleased with it. I have it set up to dose twice daily and it is so far totally reliable.

frankk
04/08/2003, 08:35 PM
I haven't noticed any PH spikes.. Can't be happier.

Mine is the dual-chamber unit identical to the pic that Eddiem posted. Just fill from the top to put one part of the B-Ionic in each chamber.

You just need to remember which chamber each part of the B-Ionic goes. I once made the mistake of putting calcium solution into my chamber with alkalinity solution.. The mixture turned into a nasty gel that was a real pain to clean out.

The dual chamber unit costs $200 but it's truly trouble free. Worth every penny.

maxxII
04/09/2003, 12:26 AM
thanks guys....really appreciate the feedback...