PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone ID this little bugger? *pic*

Hemmie
04/08/2003, 03:45 PM
It rolls up in kind of a ball. In the pics, its rolled up around a piece of algae. Its about 3/4 " long and oval shaped when its flattened out.

The "shell" is kind of segmented. When I moved it to get the pic, it rolled up.

Anyone?

http://www.machiasvet.com/11.jpg
http://www.machiasvet.com/22.jpg

Rick Davis
04/08/2003, 04:02 PM
Looks like a chiton. If so, I think there is some info on chitons from previous posts.

RicksReefs
04/08/2003, 05:52 PM
yup,it's a chiton. looks like it could be 'Tonicia schrammi'
according to reef creature ID. chitons are herbivores,
& prefer to hang out on the rockwork where they eat
up all kinds of algae (even coralline).
HTH

Hemmie
04/08/2003, 06:38 PM
Thanks!

kmk2307
04/08/2003, 07:30 PM
Thats a pretty Polyplacophorid you have there, Hemmie. I just returned Chitons of the World to my library or otherwise I would try to find it for ya. Was it Florida or caribbean live rock it came in on by any chance? Have you seen it eat any algae yet? Note that some chitons are molluscavores (eat snails, clams, other chitons, etc) but I believe most of those are from asian waters. Note my "title" by my avitar... It's been that way for a while.

Keep us posted and feel free to post more pics! :D

Kevin

Hemmie
04/08/2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks again!

It came from Florida on Gulf View. Cute lil thing! It wrapped around a piece of Algae the minute it went into the tank!

How big do they get?

hubris007
04/08/2003, 08:23 PM
Yup, gonna go with chiton on this one.

kmk2307
04/08/2003, 09:29 PM
It greatly depends on the species. Some chitons get HUGE. I wold guess this guy might get to be 4" long full grown. That is a total guess but I believe that is a rough average adult size for a lot of herbivore chitons.

Kevin

Hemmie
04/09/2003, 03:56 AM
He's the first thing I'll look for when the lights go on. I hope my Eel didn't eat him. He's been a bear the past few weeks. He finally ate my Arrow Crab, and my one and only Red Legged Hermit.

Off topic, but I wonder what makes a Snowflake get so predatory after more than a year. A month ago I could have put that hermit IN his mouth and he would have shook his head and spit it out.

Ohe well. Cute Chiton and gorgeous GV rock, as usual!