PDA

View Full Version : Coral beauty OK with Yellow tang ?

oz
04/08/2003, 03:28 PM
I currently have a 55 Gallon Reef tank and the following fish...
1 yellow tang
2 yellowhead jawfish
2 mandarin
1 lawnmower blenny
2 small blue/green chromis

Do you think I can/should add a Coral Beauty ?
Will he be OK with the Yellow Tang ?
And lastly, is he reef safe ? Thanks.

spinosa123
04/08/2003, 03:35 PM
I dont think you will have a problem

griffey83
04/08/2003, 03:42 PM
I have a Coral Beauty and a Yellow tang in my 75 gallon tank right now and they are fine with each other. Some Coral Beauties are reef safe and others are not. I have one that so far has been well behaved. If he starts eating my corals he is out of that tank. But it really depends on that fish in particular that you have. One thing I was told to do to help so you dont push him to being not reef safe is to make sure that you keep him well fed. I have had mine nip at some polyps but did not like them and has not bothered them since.
The thing I would be careful about it is getting too many fish in your tank. If you believe that your system can handle that many then it is fine. But that is something that I always am worried about and see people do too often.

texasreefer
04/08/2003, 03:46 PM
The Coral Beauty and the Yellow Tang will do fine together. However you never can be sure the Coral Beauty will be reef safe.

isom
04/08/2003, 03:53 PM
That's actually a lot of fish for a 55g. I would say you are at max capacity fishwise right now and would not add anything else. I had a 55g for over two years and had a heck of a time controlling nitrates with a yellow tang, a coral beauty, and a sixline wrasse. You have eight fish already...not to rain on your parade or anything, but that's a lot of fish for a 55g.

oz
04/08/2003, 04:06 PM
Isom, I don't disagree with you. I was thinking that myself except all my fish are all small in sizes.

Only fish I see all the time while sitting infront of aquarium is the yellow tang. To see rest of fish, I have to look for them. One reason I thought about getting the coral beauty. Also I don't have a problem with nitrates at all. I think may be my refugium and DSB is sucking it all up.

I haven't decided one way or the other.
How does everyone else feel ? Do I have too much already or can I add one more ?

isom
04/08/2003, 04:12 PM
I didn't mean to jump on you there. If they are all small you're probably allright for now, but the chromis can get fairly large as well as the tang. The jawfish and blenny and mandarins don't swim around that much, so you don't really have territory issues i'm sure. I don't know...you could probably swing it with a refugium as far as nitrates, but i don't know how happy everyone will be in the long run.

griffey83
04/09/2003, 08:09 AM
My opinion is that when you start an aquarium you only need to add fish that you are going to be able to keep as they grow. A fish may be small now and not efeect your nitrates but in a year it could cause a problem. The one thing I learned was taking your time and thinking everything out with reefing is the best and most cost effective way to go.
When I started my tank I know that I picked fish that I was going to be able to have in my tank for as long as they lived. I picked them out by the size they were going to get, territoral issues and if they are reef safe. I dont think it is a good thing to be adding fish and later having to take them out because they grew too big and hence messed up your nitrates. Also catching fish in a reef tank is a pain!
But if you are able to hadle the nitrates with your system you have set up I think adding the fish is ok. He definetly will be moving around allot more then most of the fish you have in there. He is going to be a bit more timid then your yellow tang but never the less a great addition to a tank.

Tomzpc
04/09/2003, 08:16 AM
I wouldn't add any more fish personally. I've never kept more than 5 small fish in my 55.

oz
04/09/2003, 08:45 AM
I guess I'll just have to get another tank. Perhaps a 120 gallon, if my wife would let me. Until then, I will not get another fish.

Also, please don't flame me but I forgot to list that I also have 2 percula clownfish. That's a total of 10 fish already. That's a lot for a 55 gallon, I agree. Funny how it doesn't seem like I have that many when looking at it passively without counting each fish.

Thank you all. Cheers.

Dz99ls
08/17/2003, 07:01 PM
you should have no problem here we have yellow and a coral beauty together with no probs!