PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Macro for a reef..no refugium

Bobber
03/07/2001, 11:19 AM
Good morning Dr.Ron,

I am interested in keeping some macroalgae in my 33gal reef and was wondering if there are any types of macro that should be kept in the reef? Are there any that should be avoided? How will macro grow in a DSB system with the nitrate and phosphate levels at zero? Doesn't any type of algae need these to grow?

One last question...I am interested in studying Marine Biology here in Chicago just to get a better understanding of marine organisms. Do you know of any colleges that have a good program in that field? Kind of hard to study marine life with nothing but The Shedd Aquarium here.

Thanx so much in advance and for taking time out of your schedule(unless this is part of your schedule:D)--Bob

rshimek
03/07/2001, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Bobber

Hi Bob,

I am interested in keeping some macroalgae in my 33gal reef and was wondering if there are any types of macro that should be kept in the reef?

Personally, I like a variety, so that there is a pleasing (to me) diversity of form in the tank. So, try a bunch of different ones and see what does well. You may wish to do some reading about algae (do a search of the RC archives to find if folks have had any particular problems). Personally, I like Halimeda. It is a good water quality indicator - if it is growing well, your corals should be doing well.

Are there any that should be avoided?

Ugly ones... :D

How will macro grow in a DSB system with the nitrate and phosphate levels at zero? Doesn't any type of algae need these to grow?

Add some algae to the tank. You will discover that they will grow just fine. The phosphate kits don't register organic phosphates, and the algae produced in your tank, probably a very significant amount, by the way, is immediately grabbed by bacteria or the (mostly hidden unicellular) algae already growing in your systems.

Do you know of any colleges that have a good program in that field?

I am not familiar with any in your area. Sorry.

Bobber
03/07/2001, 02:31 PM
Thanx again. I will look into Halimeda and others. I appreciate your time. I guess I'll have to move to Florida to do my studies!:D I wish!! --Bob