PDA

View Full Version : Question about 1000 watt MH fixture

capt. insano
04/08/2003, 01:14 PM
I am in the process of converting a FOWLR tank over to a reef system. The tank is 3 years old and I have began to dose it with Kalk and trace elements to bring the necessary levels up. I am currently cultivating some smaller mushrooms and a lot of different Macros in the sump (including calcerous ones) and they are growing like crazy.

My question is:

I am considering buying a 1000 watt MH for the center of the tank. I have found a source for a very reasonably priced fixture.

the link is:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/igcusastore/prodinfo.asp?number=GL-SSX-MH&variation=&aitem=2&mitem=2

First question: Would this be overkill for my tank
The tank is 96"L x 30"H x 20"W

Second question: Has anyone had any experience with a Sun System Fixture?

Thanks in advance for your input

Dave

rbaker
04/11/2003, 08:15 AM
^

newreefers
04/11/2003, 04:45 PM
since this light is for growing indoor plants I would make sure it can handle the type of light bulb you will need for the tank, 10,000K MH,

edwardlmarshall
04/11/2003, 04:56 PM
You are going to need more than 1 MH fixture for an 8-ft. tank -- actually 4 of them (1 for every 2 ft. of tank) -- unless you only want to light the middle 2 ft. I think 4 250w MHs would be a better choice.

brianlena2000
04/11/2003, 05:54 PM
edwardlmarshall is right. You are going to want to have 4 mh's on an 8ft tank. 4x250 would be a much better setup.

Best of luck!

:bum:

capt. insano
04/11/2003, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the input.....it is very much appreciated

I guess I should elaborate a little more on what I am trying to achieve:

The tank is a FOWLR, but I am converting it over into a reef tank. I already have a very nice Life-Reef skimmer, CPR3000 wet/dry +sump (fill with live rock and Macros), a 56 watt UV, etc. The center of the tank is where the majority of the live rock is massed and where I will begin to place the corals. I thought that I could start with the singular MH, and thought it best to start with a 1000 watt considering the depth of the tank. Would 250 watt MH's be enough to push down into a 30 inch tank?

My plan was to start with the one MH in the center and then add more pendant Halides as I go. I am on a bit of a budget (wife enforced, so you know I won't be straying to far from it) and that is why I planned on adding the lighting in stages. I will have 2 - dual bulb 36 inch overdriven NO strip lights on either side......for a total of 8 - 36 inch bulbs. Some of these are 50/50, 10k, straight actinic, etc. I figured these would suffice until phase 2 of the lighting upgrade. Please let me know what you think. Man, it sucks being a working man.....don't you all wish that we were all independently wealthy?

Dave

capt. insano
04/11/2003, 06:11 PM
Along the same lines....

I am also planning another project to run simultaneously with the lighting upgrade. In my area, rubbermaid stock tanks are very affordable (com'on....I live in cattle country USA)...so I am planning on plumbing in a 100 or 150 gallon stock tank. This will serve at first as an additional sump area, possibly a place to grow more Macros. Eventually, I will add a DSB, live rock and a Pendant MH. I have read every possible post regarding these stock tanks, but how would you go about setting it up? (as far as lighting....another skimmer? etc) Thanks all!

theearthling
04/11/2003, 06:51 PM
250 W MHs placed 6" from the water should penetrate well to about 24" if you want to keep SPS corals or clams. If you have a 6" DSB you'll be fine.

I wouldn't start with a 1000 W MH if you're doing your lighting in stages. You could end up with 4000 W of lighting on your tank when you're through... unless you want a hotspot somewhere.

...Stoked!
04/11/2003, 07:36 PM
Dont marihunya growers use 1K MHs?? IF you can afford it, go for it!

Sicklid
04/11/2003, 08:55 PM
Man, this sounds like my setup. I have a 1000 watt Sunlight systems light with a Sunburst 12,000K bulb over a 300 gallon, 8-ft tank. I will be adding 2 additional 400-watt 20,000K MH on either side if it. I think that your plan sounds good. Mine is working well. Here are the links.

System:
http://elights.com/10growligsys.html

Bulb:
http://www.aquatictech.com/lighting.html

Here is a pic of the tank.

capt. insano
04/11/2003, 10:08 PM
Sicklid, How long have you been running the 1000 watt? Do you like the results thus far?

The 1000 watt light really isn't that much more expensive....so why not? I understand that the light might be a little to intense for some corals, but couldn't I always just move them lower in the tank, or further left or right of center, until they were happier?

Have you noticed a dramatic spike in your energy bill since you started using this light? Thanks dude

Capt. Insano

JPMagyar
04/11/2003, 10:16 PM
I have been going through the 1000 watt issue recently. Here's a little more info:

Sunlight Supply 1000 watt setup. (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=173668)

Here's 3000 watts

http://members.aol.com/sunvox/Hood.jpeg

FWIW.

Joe:)

capt. insano
04/11/2003, 10:49 PM
Sicklid,

Did you also have problems with your setup, like Joe did? Just wondering

Sicklid
04/12/2003, 06:56 AM
I have been running the 1000 watt for over a year now. I am very happy with it. As you stated, it penetrates the 30-inch depth of my tank as well. I have not had any problems with it. My acros and Derasa love it. Just place new corals and clams lower in the tank until acclimated, then you can place them higher. It adds about $35-40 more to my electric bill each month. Be sure to open your top or use a chiller as it will heat up your water a bit. I have a fan blowing on mine 24-7. I also built a platform to hang the canopy and ballast from where I did not have to hang any thing from the ceiling.