PDA

View Full Version : Overflow box completely quiet now.

charvel
04/08/2003, 11:46 AM
As the instructions said from Lifereef,I inserted an airline tube down the drain about 4 feet and pulled it up till it was quiet. It works I hear nothing, it is great. It was louder than the tv. before. Has anyone else tried this and had luck?Mike.

madmikey
04/08/2003, 12:07 PM
Thnx I just tried it and no more sound(for the most part).

charvel
04/08/2003, 09:17 PM
bump

ReefRelated
04/08/2003, 09:23 PM
Why not a Durso?

charvel
04/08/2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by tonytooth
Why not a Durso? This was just so easy,it took me 2 minutes.If it didnt work Durso was the way I was going to go next. I just wanted to pass this on to people that have never tried it/ Is there a risk at all to Durso,just wondering? Mike

ReefRelated
04/08/2003, 09:32 PM
DUHH I just realized it was an overflow box. Now I understand :D

charvel
04/08/2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by tonytooth
DUHH I just realized it was an overflow box. Now I understand :D I just realized I did'nt say it was an overflow box in the listing,woops. tonytooth, what is involved in getting a pic under your RC name like the clown and regal you have? Mike.

ReefRelated
04/08/2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by charvel
I just realized I did'nt say it was an overflow box in the listing,woops. tonytooth, what is involved in getting a pic under your RC name like the clown and regal you have? Mike.
Go to my RC then edit options then change avatar. They have some to use or you find them on the net or make one yourself like I did.

electric130
04/08/2003, 09:47 PM
the air line tube has basically the same physics behind it as the durso. just different methods of delivering the needed air in the pipe.

ri
04/08/2003, 10:29 PM
The thin tube in the stand pipe is the same basic principle that the Marineland SOS skimmer operates on. The SOS is for Silent Overflow Skimmer... yes, it was silent!

ri

cellexjohn
04/08/2003, 10:41 PM
I did this about a month ago while setting up my new aquarium. It keeps mine from soundin like "flushing the toilet". Much quieter with the air tube. I have about 16" down mine with 2 inches out the top. I don't run any filters in my overflow box.
Enjoy !

charvel
04/08/2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by cellexjohn
I did this about a month ago while setting up my new aquarium. It keeps mine from soundin like "flushing the toilet". Much quieter with the air tube. I have about 16" down mine with 2 inches out the top. I don't run any filters in my overflow box.
Enjoy ! I never thought of length at the top(coming out) I have about 18'' out at the top. Should I only have 2 or 3 inches. Mike

cellexjohn
04/08/2003, 10:56 PM
Hey Mike,
I just figured i should keep it above the water. I wouldn not think it would need to be 18" out of the top. Try it and see.

John

godlyme
04/08/2003, 11:01 PM
my lifereef overflow is loud as hell..i think the neighbors can hear it....what exactly are u adding in there to make it quiet? what i understand so far which im not sure is right or not..is that u put an airline tubing down the drain part about 4 feet or so..is this all? thanx please let me know =)

charvel
04/08/2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by godlyme
my lifereef overflow is loud as hell..i think the neighbors can hear it....what exactly are u adding in there to make it quiet? what i understand so far which im not sure is right or not..is that u put an airline tubing down the drain part about 4 feet or so..is this all? thanx please let me know =) Put it down in about 4 feet then pull it out slowly,when it is quiet or quieter stop and attach it to the side of the box somehow,I used duct tape. Mike.

peterl23454
04/08/2003, 11:11 PM
i take it you do not have it hooked up to an air pump?the water rushing past the end of the hose pulls air from the top of the hose two inches above the intake?

charvel
04/08/2003, 11:16 PM
I don't have it hooked up to an air pump.I am not sure why it works. When I put my finger over the end of the hose there is a suction so I am sure that has alot to do with it. I am sure someone can explain it better than me. Mike.

godlyme
04/08/2003, 11:40 PM
thanx guys... i cant wait to get home and try this... if one airline doesnt work by chance adding 2 might?? when i go home im going to kill this niagra falls toilet flushing noise once and for all!!!!