PDA

View Full Version : amp master versus iwaki

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 11:25 AM
lets forget price for now. which one would pick if they were rated the same on similar GPH wise?

this is for a closed loop system.

Mescalito
04/08/2003, 11:28 AM
If reliability and quality were my only concerns it would definitely be Iwaki. If noise level were a factor I would side with the AM3K.

newkie
04/08/2003, 11:30 AM
What's more important... long life or silence?

The Iwaki is a proven pump (although I've had 2 go bad) that can often last 10 years. However, anything above an MD30 is fairly noisy if located in the cabinet.

The Ampmaster is always being knocked for a seal issue they had over a year ago. People just won't let it go. So that's mainly the negative feedback you will hear about this pump. Its a direct drive vs a mag drive (Iwaki) and therefore it has seals that will need to be replaced... but that should take years. Also Ampmasters don't appreciate headpressure, but luckily a closed loop doesn't have much so you'll get good flow for a modest expense in electricity.

HTH

Big E
04/08/2003, 12:04 PM
The Sequence pump is a similar option to an Ampmaster....... it's quiet & pushes a lot of water. I have the 3600 on a close loop. They also don't have the seal problems associated with Ampmasters...........at least to date I haven't heard of any.

I've got two Iwakis at 8 & 5 years without problems. As stated more noise & more electricity expended.

cthetoy
04/08/2003, 12:09 PM
I have both. Iwaki are good pumps. Much louder than the AmpMaster and Sequence pump but Iwaki has good head pressure which I need for my skimmer. AmpMaster and Sequence are direct drive pumps and pumps lots of water but at lower head pressure. They are pretty much dead quiet.

Iwaki 55RLT uses 1" plumbing and AmpMasters and Sequences uses 1.5 " plumbing.

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 02:16 PM
thasnk for the great info people.

this is a 120 gallon tank, filtration is going in the basement, so the mail return will have to be an iwaki hooked up to a sea swirl.

but the circulation will be under the cabinet, no pressure, just circulation with several outputs, so i'm thinking ampmaster.

newkie - did you mean that these guys take a lot of juice or did you mean they are conservative?

DocHoliday
04/08/2003, 04:10 PM
I have a sequence 2900 as my return from the basement and feeds two 1" seaSwirls. I had my 180 gallon tank drilled for a closed loop system, but I am starting to change my mind about the Tunze streamers 6100.

Moving 3100gph at 47watts sounds pretty sexy to me!;)

newkie
04/08/2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by skattabrain
newkie - did you mean that these guys take a lot of juice or did you mean they are conservative?
They ain't called Ampmasters for nothin! Although people have measured them and say that the company's estimates are conservative (which varies on numerous factors like amount of head) they should consume less juice than Iwaki for similar water movement.

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 08:40 PM
nice aquarium you have their newkie. is that an oceanic 110?

what are the dimensions?

Ralph
04/09/2003, 10:29 AM
Hi Skattabrain
If you dedide on the Iwaki will you pick the American motor or the Japanese motor? I've been thinking of buying an Iwaki but I'm not sure which motor to get.
Ralph

skattabrain
04/09/2003, 10:39 AM
i haven't entertained that idea yet.... anyone?

DocHoliday
04/09/2003, 02:19 PM
One of the main reasons to buy an Iwaki is for thier reliablity and durablity. If you purchase the American Motors your negating the whole reason to buy Iwaki. That's why the Japanesse motors are so much more $