PDA

View Full Version : Brown slime everywhere and copper question?

clwntrigger
04/08/2003, 11:15 AM
I was out of town for 4 days and when I came back I have brown slime algae everywhere. Water parameters are all good ph 8.3 ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are at 0. The tank is a 38gl that has live rock, DSB and calerpa. Lighted by 2 96W PC's. I use R.O water only. The fish seem to be hiding alot also.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I will be moving the fish out to a hospital tank to treat with some copper for a while since I have ick again. I thought I had it beat with garlic laced food but its back.

Lesson learned: Never leave town when you have a reef tank unless you have a freind with a tank of his own to watch it.

Any one ever use copper in a tank with a DSB. I am moving the fish to a 29gl FOWLR that was going to be a seahorse tank. But for now it will be a hospital. What should I expect with copper in a FOWLR tank. I will be testing to maintain the right concentration.

Thanks,
Greg

madmikey
04/08/2003, 12:32 PM
If you are ever going to have corals again or inverts I think copper would be a bad idea. Copper can leach back into the system very long after its initial use.