PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a new Brute to use as mixing bucket

Squidman
04/08/2003, 10:52 AM
What would you do to make sure your new Brute trash can was safe to mix new salt water in. I would assume there is some contamination in them that should be cleaned out before they are used. Any ideas?

jeffhaag
04/08/2003, 12:35 PM
I actually just filled mine with a little salt water, let it circulate for a day, then filled it with salt water a second time to circulate for about 3 days and that was it. I've been using it now for over 9 months without any problems. When I filled it for rinsing, I just used tap water and a guestimate of how much salt, but that was it. Of course, there are Brute containers that are FDA certified. The only major difference is the color...

Squidman
04/08/2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I got the food grade industrial one. Just wasn't sure if there were any chemicals/preservatives/mold release agents that would be harmful to my reef. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Flame*Angel
04/08/2003, 05:11 PM
I gave mine a scrubbing with vinegar when I first got it just to be safe. I bought a toilet cleaning type brush just for these buckets as I like to give them a scrubbing now and then. I've never seen any problems after a scrub with a bit of vinegar, just be sure to rinse well.

ReefEze
04/08/2003, 05:38 PM
I just scrubbed mine with RO/DI water.

RE

Squidman
04/09/2003, 09:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I just rinsed it out w/ hot water and wiped it down. I'll be sure to post back if I have any issues.