PDA

View Full Version : chiller questions

portelli
04/08/2003, 10:51 AM
When your chiller turns on does the compressor kick on right away? Or does it take a few tries? Just wondering because mine takes a few tries. I'm not complaining since it was free, but just wondering if there is a potential problem

tentacle
04/12/2003, 02:45 AM
Hi portelli,

Mine kicks in right away. Whether a chiller does or doesn't may depend on the manufacturer/model though (mine's an Aqualogic). You may want to post what make/model chiller you have so those with the same one can give you their experience with it.

palawan
04/12/2003, 03:16 AM
I too have an aqualogic, and the compressor kicks in right away.

Old Yeller Tang
04/12/2003, 03:24 AM
I was kinda wondering that myself. When I first got my chiller, I thought it would just kick on instantly but now I can hear the chiller on and then the compressor will come on soon after. I was wondering if it's time for a tune up of some sort since my chiller is about 5yrs old. Doesn't seem to chill as quickly as it used to. I'd better clean it out soon to see if that helps. I hate messing with plumbing though!:(

monstereef
04/14/2003, 01:19 AM
If your chiller is not doing the job like before you might want to vacuum the condenser fins. They are usually located in the back. It is just like AC unit, once it clogs with dust and debris the effeciency drops on the unit. I got a Arctica b/c the condenser fins are in the front and accessible. My manual also states to back flush the titanium heat exchanger with double the recommended GPH every six months to prevent build up.

maybe you can try it and see what happens...

portelli
04/14/2003, 08:02 AM
Hmm. I'm not sure what i have. I got it for free cuz it did not work. But that was just the controller, so a quick rewire if the relay and all's good. It still chills, so I'm not too worried. I could spend $700 on so many other things. Thanks.