PDA

View Full Version : Moved my DSB - any ideas on how long I should wait for the dreaded cycle?

JonF
04/08/2003, 10:07 AM
I just moved my 4" sandbet from one 150g tank to another. I also dipped each piece of LR in freshwater (and got one mantis shrimp!!!!). So I would imagine a lot of dye-off.

Sandbed was transfered to a garbage can and kept wet and warm with tankwater at all times. Was then replaced in 2 layers - top inch and bottom 3 inches.

Any idea how long I should wait for the dreaded cycle - or until I have the all clear to put corals etc back in?

I have some mushrooms attached to rocks in the tank now - I guess they'll be my canaries in the coalmine.

Just wondering rules of thumb for how long I should wait.

Move was completed Saturday night.

Thanks,

Jon

JonF
04/08/2003, 11:27 AM
i had thought the cycle would begin fairly shortly after the move took place - if it were going to take place at all.

madmikey
04/08/2003, 12:25 PM
After disturbing the sandbed I would wait minimum 1 maybe even 2 weeks and just keep checking parameters to make sure a big spike doesn't occur. I have done this several times and had varying sucess moving everything within a few days. Better safe than sorry

Little Reefer Boy
04/08/2003, 12:38 PM
When I moved my 75g, I scooped out the top 1.5" and left the bottom 3" in the tank. Granted, my anaerobic layer wasn't disturbed as much as yours.

Anyway, after I setup the tank again I waited 24 hours then reintroduced my livestock. Everything has looked as good as ever. No noticible spike or recycle.

I've heard as long as you removed the DSB in layers, it shouldn't spike much. I think you'd be fine after a couple of days, but if you have time and patience wait it out :)

JonF
04/08/2003, 04:59 PM
I was thinking the same thing (eg wait a week or so) but had heard that most of the cycling events take place in the first 2-3 days. Just wondering whether that is reasonable.