PDA

View Full Version : Who has sea horses in their reef

LOTUS50GOD
04/08/2003, 09:08 AM
After talking to several people, they all think I am nuts for having seahorses in my reef since they are such slow eaters. I have 2 male, 2 females in my reef, and have even seen them eating flake food when live brine is not available. The current doesnt seem to bother them much. I dont have any big fish in the tank, so they have no preditors or fast movers.

rbaker
04/08/2003, 09:12 AM
I'm sure yours are fine. However, most will agree that they should be housed in a biotope. They don't live on the reef in nature...

Regards,

Ryan

Aaron1100us
04/08/2003, 09:13 AM
INteresting. I guess if there are no predators and the current isn't strong enough to blow them down the current, it would work. Do you have any pictures? What else do you have living with them?

mirski57
04/08/2003, 09:31 AM
I thought that SeaHorses needed a much cooler temp than that needed by a reef. While the reef needs to be around 81....seahorses need there temp around 75.

Just my thoughts,

Mirski57

ozadars
04/08/2003, 09:37 AM
Hi,
I have 3 seahorses (H.Comes) in my 15 gal nano, if there is no stinging animal or a fast eater fish, so that wont be a problem, i dont have much in my reef, 15 lbs LR, colt coral, green mushroom, orange zoos, 2 blennies, kinds of snails and hermits, and a tube worm, I also have a coral banded shrimp, but he is so active and w/ his legs, he is disturbing my corals, and eating seahorse's foods quickly so, tomorrow i ll gave back him and trade w/ a harlequin shrimp, they re i think best tank mate shrimps because they just eat econoderms and never touchs seahorses' foods, I have pics, but they re too big to atach

LOTUS50GOD
04/08/2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Aaron1100us
INteresting. I guess if there are no predators and the current isn't strong enough to blow them down the current, it would work. Do you have any pictures? What else do you have living with them?

I actually have a entire reef living with them. Temp is around 79.
Here is the load.
Inverts
2- cleaner shrimp
coral banded shrimp
2- pistol shrimp
fire shrimp
Fish
6 line wrase
2- manderin blenny
2- banded pipefish
watchman goby
psudochomis
4-seahorses
2- purple firefish
2 red scooter blennys
lawnmower blenny
2- gold stripe maroon clowns
Rock and coral
300lbs- figi rock
toadstool leather
green torch
green frogspawn
Rose Bubbletip anemone
elephant ear mushroom
closed brain
pulsing xenia
pink montapora
yellow turbine
lots of mushrooms
clarupia for the seahorses to hang on
colt coral

The current is strong in some areas and weak in others. I have 6 powerheads (maxijet 900's and 1200) as well as a tunze surge maker, and the return from the sump. I know it sounds like alot but my tank is a 260 (60"X48"x36"). I can take and post pics tomorrow, since I am at work now and the lights will be off when I get home.

ozadars
04/08/2003, 10:44 AM
And i forgot to say, H.Comeses are reef seahorses, they live in reefs in the nature, but most of the others dont maybe all the others?

Paul B
04/08/2003, 05:00 PM
I kept a pair of hippocampus for about a year in my reef but I partitioned off a section of the tank with plastic lighting sheet. The other fish could not get in. I collected the hippocampus myself locally in New York and they came from grass flats in shallow water.
http://www.breeders-registry.gen.ca.us/Articles/v4_i3_paul_b/paul_b.htm

sloveday
04/08/2003, 05:24 PM
I too have a seahorse living in a 55g Reef with numerous others. This seahorse typically doesnt like frozen or flake food, have seen him picking off pods, and i usually feed him 2-3 times a week on ghost shrimp. Have watched him take down 4-5 ghost shrimp before stopping to rest. Been on the reef now for nearly 5 months, with blennies, gobies, 75# LR, asst corals and inverts.