PDA

View Full Version : Ranco temp controller probs

portelli
04/08/2003, 09:01 AM
I noticed last night my chiller was going on more than normal. It did not seem too weird since the lights were on all day, even though we have 5 inches of snow outside. But this morning it did seem wierd. I looked and the probe was next to a pump, so i moved it thinking it might be getting warmer from being next to it. Well I checked it again later and it said the water was 114 degrees and it was actually very cold. Any one else ever have this problem? Anyone know what it might be? I do not really want to buy another controller. is jsut the probe bad? Can just that be replaced? oh ya this has been working fine for over 2 years now.

big tank bob
04/08/2003, 10:04 AM
You can get a replacement sensor from Ranco are any AC supplier the part number is 1309007-044. Also it should be noted that that sensor is waterresistant not waterproof (ae:not for direct immersion) A well need to be used.

ReefRelated
04/08/2003, 10:07 AM
Is it installed in line like this? If not I would recomend doing it this way. You can get this PVC fitting at Lowes and the gray part with seal came from an AC supply. I would guess it's just the probe.
http://www.huffdental.com/probe.jpg

portelli
04/08/2003, 10:38 AM
thanks. I have no place to put it in line like that. Nor do i want to go through the trouble. And I guess I did have it under water, but it has lasted over 2 years.

portelli
04/08/2003, 09:24 PM
they don't make it easy to replace huh. I have to unsolder it. Anyone else have this happen?

Brett
04/08/2003, 10:18 PM
I replaced my Ranco temperature probe a few months ago. There are warnings in both the manual that comes with the controller as well as in the paper that comes with the new probe that expressly state not to attempt to desolder the old probe from the circuit board, but rather cut the current cord and splice the new probe in. I'm not sure why this is, but I assumed that it could mess with the calibration, so I did it as they suggested. It wasn't quite as pretty as I would have liked, but it did work.

HTH,
Brett