PDA

View Full Version : where to buy mail order live rock delivered to New England

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 07:31 AM
any ideas on who has quality cured live rock at a decent price?

i need about 150+ pounds, so i'm looking for bang for the buck here.

it will be delivered to Massachusetts.

Scott Merrill
04/08/2003, 07:48 AM
i just ordered from www.gulf-view.com and had it shipped to MA. Great stuff. watch out for the mantis. IMO i would pick up 100lbs of dry rock and seed it with 50 of live. it will save you $$. www.reeferrocks.com sells great base rock. you can see feedback threads on it in the Boston Reefers Society section.

Good Luck!

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 08:02 AM
thanks boshos,

but i do have my heart set on fiji or some other south pacifc rock. i never really cared to much for gulf rock.

but this base rock looks really interesting, planning on a 4" sand bed, so i'll need large pieces to sit on the glass.

i am concerned about the fact that these rocks are bare, will algae just dominate them before coraline begines covering it?

last time i set up a tank, i bought rock from a friend and it was literally 100% purple ( well, minus the undersides ). how long does it take to cover the reef structure?

Jamesurq
04/08/2003, 08:30 AM
Assuming the LR you do put on top of the base has a substantial amount of coraline on it, and you don't kill it off with your cycle, and you keep your calcium and alk up, the base rock shouldn't take too long to get purple.

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 08:36 AM
calcium and alk... no issue.

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 08:49 AM
so.. anymore ideas on where to get great rock/prices on fiji or marshall islands rock?

Jane
04/08/2003, 08:59 AM
There is a place in Feeding Hills, MA that can order you some pretty good live rock (Figi or Marshal) . You can always email them and ask them when they will get another shipment or if they can order you a box. Just tell them what you are looking for and you may even be able to save by picking it up. Their site is at www.aqua-dreams.com

ez1ez
04/08/2003, 09:05 AM
:cool: There are some LFS's that will sell live rock at 3-4 dollars a lb. if you order 100 lb or more. I know one in ct. that sells it cheap if you order alot. He attaches his order to it and get it cheaper. I got it at $4.00 a lb. fiji and Belize.

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 09:08 AM
wow, nice!

i take it that is uncured ( of course all rock needs re-curing after any shipping ).

got a link, phone #, name of the store?

skattabrain
04/08/2003, 09:11 AM
actually, there is a store in portsmouth NH called little shop of pets... they gave me a price of $4.50 a pound for fiji.

not bad, considering it is probably cured ( or mostly cured ).

plus they are local and i like making relationships with the LFS

Manager
04/08/2003, 09:15 AM
Try here: paragonsales.com they are in CT and have very good rock or:

premiumaquatics.com they re in PA and have very good rock also.

stealyourhouse
04/08/2003, 09:20 AM
justphish.com is in CT and he's got good prices on rock.

ez1ez
04/09/2003, 04:56 PM
The LFS is Pet Paradise in Milford,CT. on New Haven Ave. If you order large amount he will add an order to it and give you the deal. It's uncured but the life on it is unreal. straight from the reef to him. The last shipment I had 2 small brains and tons of sponges and polyps. But of course always some unwanted critters. But a good deal.:rollface:

pncstod
04/09/2003, 05:14 PM
www.justphish.com is where i got all my rock from. Good stuff at a good price.