PDA

View Full Version : Puff time with Hoss! (The spikey grapefruit)

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:29 AM
I thought this series of photos snapped by Dan earlier this afternoon was the perfect compliment to our first thread "Bath time with Hoss".

Let me say before any confused replies- that we would NEVER, EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER- irritate or encourage our porcupine puffer to puff. This puffing incident came and went without human interference. Hoss usually puffs once or twice a month with seemingly no motive.

He is definitely the dominant predator in the tank, so he can't be perceiving a threat. When we noticed Hoss was puffed at the time of these photos, we were watching television, looked over to the other side of the room where the tank is, and noticed Hoss was inflated. We dismiss the puffs as "something Hoss does to stretch." Anyway let me say again, No one should EVER, attempt to force this reflex out of their puffer! This reflex if done under the wrong circumstances could seriously injure/stress a puffer. This is just a once in a while fringe benefit of owning a puffer.

So with that said, enjoy...;)

-Meg

I believe this first picture is taken from the back at time of puff.

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:31 AM
I keep forgetting to attach pic- sheesh-:rolleyes:

-Meg

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:33 AM
This picture is taken from the side at time of puff, but Hoss' facial features are somewhat altered by the stretching of skin.

-Meg

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:33 AM
This third one, just another side angle.

-Meg

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:35 AM
This one is Cooooooooooool! Shows Hoss in the process of deflation!

-Meg

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:36 AM
Final picture, head shot, of still ruffled spines after deflation. Takes him a little to pull himself together.

-Meg

neptune299
04/08/2003, 12:44 AM
Awesome photos!!!!!! I hope to start 2 fish only's soon- 125g & 200g. Have been contemplating getting one for each. ?

Tersname
04/08/2003, 12:45 AM
Those pics are awesome.
You dont see too many of those types of pictures.
Thanks for sharing.

Danables
04/08/2003, 12:48 AM
thats SO kewl, i thinking about starting up a puffer/eel tank out of my 60 gal

again WAY KEWL !!!

freakyreef
04/08/2003, 12:49 AM
Between Hoss and your bristleworms, you sure keep us entertained!!!
Great pics He's so cuuuuuuuute!!LOL Kinda funny looking puffed up though.

bmcelhinn
04/08/2003, 12:53 AM
Why are all of you wanting to start up seperate tanks for a puffer? Zepplin and I both have puffers in reef tanks with corals and crustaceans.

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:54 AM
Danables,
I wouldn't suggest putting a porcupine puffer in a 60 gallon tank, i don't think it would be able to handle the puffer, not to mention the puffer probably would get stressed out big time!

Thanks for the compliments! It was really lucky. I still was borrowing the digital camera and suddenly Meg was like "LOOK! Hoss is puffed up!" I quickly ran for the camera and just started snapping as many pics as I could before he deflated. He only stays puffed for about 30 seconds usually.

Dan

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 12:56 AM
bmcelhinn,
Exactly!!! Not to mention that Meg and I know 3 other local reefers with puffers in their tanks.

Dan

Shooter9er
04/08/2003, 01:26 AM
Amazing pictures!!!! They sure look cool all puffed up like that

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 01:35 AM
Thanks shooter! How come there hasn't ever been a comic about puffers? The ability to inflate into ball form is most definitely a super fish power.

-Meg

max101101
04/08/2003, 01:39 AM
Nice pictures... I liked the video clip on the website too.

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 01:43 AM
Thanks max, the videoclip, despite being labeled as new, is from way back in the day when we began reefing. I guess new infers new to the website.

-Meg

lllosingit
04/08/2003, 01:48 AM
Great pictures.
What do you guys feed your Puffers?
I just bought a small one about 4" just curious, but how fast do they grow and how much do you feed a small puffer daily?
I have been feeding him 2 small frozen krill twice a day.
I'm going to get a mix of fresh sea food from the store but what do they like?
Right now I have him in 30 gallon by himself, I know, before you say anything "its to small", its a QT tank and I haven't decided if I'm going to put him in my 125 or my 90g sump OR start a new tank just for him.
It's kind of funny, I have been trying to get my girlfriend into the hobby for almost a year and she had no interest at all untill she saw a large puffer at the LFS,So we bought a small one now its her baby.:rolleyes:

XxAngelzDustxX
04/08/2003, 04:32 AM
wow... really kool pix :eek1:

I luv the side shot!

jackson6745
04/08/2003, 04:39 AM
Zep--I really miss my puffer---my friend has him in his 90gal FO tank and he is doing fine. My new setup is only 2 weeks old so I won't be getting him back anytime soon. Great pics---BTW
:(

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 11:27 AM
lllosingit,
We feed our puffer 4-5 pieces of krill per day, and then Hoss gobbles up some mysis that we feed the other fish. I'd say that you feeding yours 2 pieces of krill is perfect considering ours is about 7" or so.
That's funny you mention your girlfriend and the puffer... That's how Meg first got interested in the hobby also! If I remember correctly, she said "You can get a tank, but you must buy me a puffer." :) So here we are almost 3 years later... :D

Dan

tleilaxu
04/08/2003, 11:45 AM
He is so incredibly cute and seems to love the camera. In your avatar he kinda looks like he's wearing lipstick :D you sure he's a he? hehe

helenjc
04/08/2003, 11:48 AM
I love that video clip. Too cute.

Zepplin
04/08/2003, 05:11 PM
Actually laxu, we're not sure at all, how does one sex a puffer? One day when we build our huge tank we'll get Hoss a "friend" and then, if they are of opposite sexes, maybe we'll be able to document some puffer love-egad that's got to be an interesting sight.

Thank you all for your feedback!

-Meg