PDA

View Full Version : anyone know anything about turf algae

masterfuji01
04/07/2003, 10:49 PM
i heard from a fellow reefer that "turf algae" was the best for nutrient export Can anyone tellme anything about this type of algae. ie scientific name, ease of care, and how easy it is to get a hold of. thanks

minh_han
04/07/2003, 11:07 PM
Sorry, "turf algae?" Don't know what that is, unless it's hair algae. It's ok, but it's not very pretty to look at. Anything that grows is a nutrient extract, from corals to macroalgae. Macroalgae is good b/c you can take it out easily and is nice to look at. There's a discussion on whether grape caleurpa produces toxins that's not as good to have. I'm undecided on this. Apparently, it can also "go sexual" and dissolve in your tank, causing an algae bloom. I like the teacup caleurpa a lot myself, but I'd also like to get some halimeda, tang heaven, and a couple of other types. Anyone have any to share? :)

Anyways, hope this long-winded answer helps.

Fishguru
04/07/2003, 11:08 PM
turf algae, isnt like the common caulerpa, or halimeda as in Large Strand type Macro, it is excellent form of export, however, it is much more work to start it going and maintaining it. Do a search on turf algae, and you'll get tons of information. Guru

DJ88©
04/07/2003, 11:47 PM
I'll have to go with Guru on this one. I have a rock that is covered with the stuff. It is no where as prolific as hair or anything like that.. But I can see where it would make a great export in something like an ATS. When the levels are higher in the tank it does grow.

Putawaywet
04/08/2003, 12:34 AM
Turf algae is not a particular type of algae but rather a group of plants combined to form a mat. It is these mats that are then used to form the basic filtration of ATS (algal turf scrubbers). ATS systems take advantage of this naturally occuring plant growth to cultivate mats of turf on sections of screen that is illuminated and washed with surges of water from the tank. The plants absorb wastes from the water and then are "harvested" (scraped from the screen) periodically to facilitate nutrient export. The fundamental idea behind this kind of filtration is not much different from those that keep refugiums filled with macro algae and periodically harvest some of it as their method of export.

This is taken directly from The Environmental Gradient by Steve Tyree but credit is given to Adey & Loveland 1991 for the research.

"The turf algae is a group of fast growing short and moss-like mats of algal filaments. They grow incredibly fast and are constantly grazed upon by herbivore animals. These algae turf's are not very visible but do occur on surfaces that do not contain living anaimals. Turf algae can produce 5 to 20 grams of dry weight plant tissue per square meter per day. A square meter of algal turf growing on a screen can absorb 0.3 to 1.2g Nitrogen a day. A typical square meter of algal turf will contain 30 to 40 species of plants."

Brett