PDA

View Full Version : Normal cycle? 11 days, bubbles in top 1" of DSB and brown algae???

sidboswell
04/07/2003, 10:34 PM
I set up my 75 acrylic for the first time in several years. Went with a 5" DSB this time around. Tank is in cycle and I just want to know if these observations are normal or if I may have too many phosphates or something strange...

The water is out of my well in the backyard. I had it tested when I purchased the house. They didn't test for Phosphates but the Ph was 6.4 and they tested 4.1ml/l of Nitrate. They also dectected a minute amount of Coliform. The amount of Coliform did not meet EPA potability requirements, but was very minute and I was told not to worry about it. I was told if I were concerned to dump a gallon of bleach down the well head and run water in all sinks in the house. I didn't bother.

Tank info:

5" DSB 240 lbs Southdown
10 lbs Live Sand from Gulf Coast
55 lbs Tonga Ridge Live Rock
about 25 lbs HIROCKS (www.hirocks.com)

Date Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate pH Alk
3/26/2003 0.1 0 2.5 8 High
3/27/2003 0.25 0.1 2.5 8 High
3/31/2003 0.5 0.5 10 8 High
4/7/2003 0.25 0.1 2.5 8.3 High

The skimmer started collecting in mid last week. I'm currently emptying about a quarter of a cup every two days.

This morning the tank looked as it did the past week or so. Water clearing, not much going on.

I came home from work this afternoon and noticed the following. There are a significant number of bubbles in the top inch or so of the sand. I'm assuming this is N2. Also one of my LR pieces came with a micro algae of some sort. Brown and no noticable structure. This afternoon that brown algae seems to have spread quite a bit. None this morning, covering some rocks this afternoon and quite a bit on the top of the sand bed. Lights were increased from about 2 hours when I got the tank to about 10 hours currently. I increased 4 hours this weekend. This may have caused the algae.

My questions are as follows:

1) is my cycle normal?
2) what to do about the algae? Leave it? If so, what type of livestock will eat this type of algae? When?

Thanks,
sid.

Fishguru
04/07/2003, 10:57 PM
Well, with phosphates that high, you can expect you are going to have Cyanobacteria problems for a long time, you need to look into some sort of water filtration system, as everytime you add evaporation water or water change water, you will be introducing more of the nitrates and phospahtes into your water. I would highly suggest looking into atleast and R/O unit, as otherwise you will be facing an uphill challenge from the start-Brent

sidboswell
04/07/2003, 11:03 PM
didn't test for Phosphates...pH=6.4...Nitrates at 4.1ml/l

my bad.

salty chris
04/07/2003, 11:18 PM
First time at reef central,hope this works right!
The brown algae sounds alot like those darn diatoms. In my experience I've found that Trochus snails do a pretty good job on your walls and rocks. Try Nassarius snails for your sand bed. Definetly consider an R.O. unit,they are lifesavers. Good Luck

Fishguru
04/07/2003, 11:40 PM
my fault, thought you said phosphates were 6.4 was like whoa. I would still suggest a R/O filter and some PH Buffer. that is pretty low Ph. Brent

sidboswell
04/08/2003, 07:52 AM
Bump.

Is this a normal cycle. The bubbles in the top inch of sand?

sid.

SeanT
04/08/2003, 08:36 AM
salty chris,
[welcome]