PDA

View Full Version : My prediction: New disney movie will bring an onslaught of Clowns and Regals.

tang named junkyard
04/07/2003, 09:33 PM
It happened with the dalmations... Any thoughts..

Hurley675
04/07/2003, 09:56 PM
I was also thinking about this earlier, I think that this will also bring many people into the hobby because there kids "forced" them to buy them a clown or a regal tang so that they could have there own part of the ocean but will end up probably killing the fish because they did no research on how to take care of the fish, and whats going to help them do that is all the petco people who dont know what they are talking about and all those people at horrible LFS's that dont know either.

-Andrew

Project Reef
04/07/2003, 10:06 PM
Or it might do the opposite. Isn't the entire point of the movie to free the fish from the LFS and get him back to the ocean?

Hurley675
04/07/2003, 10:15 PM
Good Point :rollface:

phdezra
04/07/2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Project Reef
Or it might do the opposite. Isn't the entire point of the movie to free the fish from the LFS and get him back to the ocean?

Doesn't matter. Kids (and adults) will want a clownfish.

If I were PetSmart or DrsFosterSmith, I'd do a deal to get product placement somehow. But that's just the business side of me talking. :D

The conservationist in me fears LFSs will buy wild caught clowns and sell them to newbie fish keepers who will promptly kill them after putting them in their pet goldfish bowl. :rolleye1:

tang named junkyard
04/08/2003, 12:03 AM
if pet smart and disney didnt get together for some kind of promotional selling.

flyhigh123
04/08/2003, 12:34 AM
movie sure does look cool though.. for those out in the So CAl area, you guys should buy tickets to the El Capitain. For like 18 bucks u get a great night out. ALso they usually have a small entertainment show/ area after the movie.

captainsafari
04/08/2003, 12:52 AM
hey its a sad fact. it will happen. which means a lot of dead fish. I hope it wont be that way though. The fact of the matter is that disney was/ is persuing local stores for promos to the movie debuit. there looking for a quick buck. i think ( i know ) this is the wrong concept to selling (having) a tank, fish, dog reptile frog etc. i have seen what the trends do with comercials or movies, or whatever, but the fact remains there are some who will prefer to make a short term dollar than a long term hobbiest. I know we all need to put food on the table but there is a very large line between right and wrong in these types of things. there is know excuse for the mersilis killing of the animals due to uninformed "masses". be it to there uninformnedness even though they would have done the right thing if they were told so, or if at there lfs they were getting the "package bowl" for that 6" hippo on sale they said ther kid wanted. There is now way to stop it except to pass as mutch information to as many people as you can. The reason i say this is because if some one walks into my store and wants a hippo tang or a clown and an amemone, there going to think im trying to take them to the bank when they hear what they need, to make it successful. im not trying to preach here but it seems like the ones who try to make you go in the right direction the first time is the last one you listen to. if its not "impossible" and you keep trying again and again, then you generally end up where they tried to get you in the first place. There is in my mind a differance in knowledge and success. the ones who obtain the knowledge usually stay succesful wile those who are successful without knowledge usually are not trully succesfull. Sorry so long winded, but i had to puit my 2 cents worth in. Keep informed it keeps the reefs alive. leroy

bmcelhinn
04/08/2003, 12:59 AM
IME most people think that taking care of a saltwater tank is too expensive/time consuming and only professionals can really do it without everything dying. And most of the ones that don't think that could take care of the fish just fine. I think when people find out how much it will cost to set these up and with the common idea that the fish will die soon anyway, they will be turned off and buy the kid a goldfish to shut them up. They are both orange.

Tomzpc
04/08/2003, 09:46 AM
Ummm....what movie?

karsco
04/08/2003, 09:53 AM
This movie:

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/findingnemo/

mojosreef
04/08/2003, 09:57 AM
Finding Nemo (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/findingnemo/index.html)

ReefRelated
04/08/2003, 09:58 AM
Here's another thread discussing this same topic
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=166855

reeftanktime
04/08/2003, 11:33 AM
tonytooth - nice avatar!!

My daughter can't wait to see the movie. We already have 2 false clowns. There will probably be a big run on stuffed animals. That will be good for my kids.

ScavDog
04/08/2003, 11:46 AM
I think when people find out how much it will cost to set these up and with the common idea that the fish will die soon anyway,

It did not stop most of us, now did it? :rolleyes:

I agree, everyone will be interested in clowns and tangs, no doubt. The folks at ORA, must be excited.

It truly will depend on the LFS to provide guidelines for proper care.

The clowns have a chance, but the poor tangs.... :mad:

Bayliner
04/08/2003, 12:11 PM
I can't see anything good comming from this movie.

bad man cathes fish and sells it to an other bad man that locks it up in a tank = bad wrap for reefers.

I hope I am wrong.
How long before somone starts picketing in front of the lfs with signs

Cam

rstaaf
04/08/2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Bayliner
I can't see anything good comming from this movie.

bad man cathes fish and sells it to an other bad man that locks it up in a tank = bad wrap for reefers.

I hope I am wrong.
How long before somone starts picketing in front of the lfs with signs

Cam

That is a HUGE leap. Remember the movie "Free Willy"? There was a movie that generated some public reaction leading to an effort to free the real "Willy" :) It would be a huge leap for people to empathize for computer generated fish that it doesn't appear are mistreated in any way other than being in captivity.

We are talking a Disney movie here meant for kids, there isn't any hidden agenda behind it. Heck, Disney has thousands of salt water fish captive on Disney property itself.

Just my 2 cents

Bob

bmcelhinn
04/08/2003, 05:44 PM
It did not stop most of us, now did it?

That is because it's something I wanted. If I had a kid who saw a movie and wanted a fish, I would get the kid a goldfish and call it a day. I wouldn't spend all of the money to get the kid a fish it would end up forgetting about in a month anyways. I don't think there is that much to worry about. If anything it will get some of the parents interested and they will enjoy the hobby and the kids will be happy too.

Reaper
04/08/2003, 06:24 PM
Looks like a cool animation, I'am sure all reefers (young or older) will see it:D !

I think it's safe to say clowns and regals are recognised worldwide already. Their the popular fish to own, giving their bold colour and unique, physical characteristics.

Being a Disney flick though, I bet Nemo is'nt caught with cyanide, that will be TOO realistic LOL;)

Kara
04/08/2003, 06:35 PM
I can just see the LFS:

Sure! We have Clowns. Oh and that blue fish from the movie too, it's called a regal. Nah, it won't cost much to keep them! You can put a few rocks in an Eclipse 5, get the fish and some salt, tap water conditioner and should be all set! Can I help you with anything else? Oh, that? A seahorse? Sure you can keep a seahorse and the fish together! Here's some tetramin flake food. I'll just go get all the stuff together for you and meet you at the register.

rstaaf
04/08/2003, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Kara
I can just see the LFS:

Sure! We have Clowns. Oh and that blue fish from the movie too, it's called a regal. Nah, it won't cost much to keep them! You can put a few rocks in an Eclipse 5, get the fish and some salt, tap water conditioner and should be all set! Can I help you with anything else? Oh, that? A seahorse? Sure you can keep a seahorse and the fish together! Here's some tetramin flake food. I'll just go get all the stuff together for you and meet you at the register.

I am sure it wasn't your intention to I have just seen so many people lump all lfs into that category. Sure, there are some out there that might be just like that. Same with any other business and same goes for people in general. Some are bad, some are good. At the end of the day you just have to hope the good outnumber the bad. Personally I would have never gotten into the hobby to begin with if it hadn't been for a lfs. In the area where I live now there used to be half a dozen lfs within 15 miles of where I live, now there are 0. I have to drive an hour and even in that city they are dissapearing. To me that is not a good thing for our hobby.

Just my 2 cents

Bob

bmcelhinn
04/08/2003, 07:20 PM
I can just see the LFS.
Sure! We have Clowns. Oh and that blue fish from the movie too, it's called a regal. Nah, it won't cost much to keep them! You can put a few rocks in an Eclipse 5, get the fish and some salt, tap water conditioner and should be all set! Can I help you with anything else? Oh, that? A seahorse? Sure you can keep a seahorse and the fish together! Here's some tetramin flake food. I'll just go get all the stuff together for you and meet you at the register

It's always beens my experience that LFS' especially the bad ones always try to get you to buy the most expensive stuff.

rstaaf
04/08/2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by bmcelhinn
It's always beens my experience that LFS' especially the bad ones always try to get you to buy the most expensive stuff.

Not been my experience. Like I said, used to have half a dozen lfs in my area but over the years they have gone one by one. The one I frequent now is an hour away. Just purchased the 120 gallon AGA RR from them. They are a pretty large pet shop carrying just about any pet and accessory you can imagine. They are not a chain. Half the store though is dedicated to freshwater and marine life. I never usually go into any lfs without already knowing what I want having already done the research but, I do talk to the people there quite a bit and I have never been steered in the wrong direction. This store was actually suggested to me by Flying Fish Express by someone there who was familiar with the area. Not to sound like a commercial but, if you are in the area check them out (The World of Pets in Greenville, SC).

Bob

Kara
04/08/2003, 08:34 PM
Few of the LFSs here would do that. I was mainly pointing that remark at the general stores (that carry fish, rodents, cats, reptiles & puppies). Pretty much every single pet store you go into here would do that. I've worked for a few of them, believe me, I know. Hrum, why did they always have 5 or 6 Dalmation pups in stock when the 101 Damnations movie was out? How about all the Cocker Spaniels when Lady and the Tramp was in the theater? The Taco Bell dog? Pet pigs from that other movie?

The employees would NEVER say that Dalmations have certain needs. Tell them about Cocker Ear or Eye problems? never! Tell them about how Chihuahuas need a lot of socialization and can easily made into nervous nippers with the wrong environment? Nope.

You should see how many Fawn Chihuahuas and Dalmations there are in foster homes still.. What's to say that things will be different with reef fish when this movie comes out? I would hope to god it doesn't happen.. at least I know that in the LFSs I frequent it most likely wouldn't, but in the local pet stores.. It's a definite possibility.

jabster
04/08/2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Kara
What's to say that things will be different with reef fish when this movie comes out?.

Dog, a bowl and some food = $400-$600

A set up to keep SW fish = $1,000+++++++++ :D

Plus, if pet shops would capitalize on the fish characters, they WILL try to capitalize on equipment. They certainly wont make that much on the fish. Plus, most parents probably wont want an extra piece of furniture. You can always put the dog away, the fish tank aint goin' anywhere ;)

I think the movie will push sales up of those fish, but probably mostly to those who already have tanks, but there will be some to those getting 10 gal set ups, a box of salt, some flake food and a bag of gravel :( I just dont think it will be anywhere near as drastic as the whole dalmation thing.

PS: I think the fish in the movie winds up in a tank in a dentists office. I have 2 clown fish in my tank....in my office....and I'm a dentist :eek: What will my kids think of me now :( AND, I almost got a regal tang too, but decided not to after some reading. *whew*

"When Nemo is unexpectedly taken far from home and thrust into a dentist's office fish tank, Marlin finds himself the unlikely hero on an epic journey to rescue his son."
- http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/f/findingnemo.php

mridgep
04/10/2003, 07:07 PM
My prediction... be prepared for clowns and others to fly off of the shelves. If anyone thinks that the vast majority of retailers are going to turn down sales because of their responsibility to the hobby, reef habitats, or the well being of the fish needs to come to terms with reality. Very few will try to discourage the sale of their fish. That is the reason they have stores in the first place, to sell things. They don't run stores to educate people on the delicate nature of the coral reef environment. Just like people going to fish stores don't go to learn about the fish, they go to buy.

More prediction... the clownfish is orange, looks like a goldfish, and will be placed in a goldfish bowl. Salt will be mixed, fish thrown in and returned for another when it dies because of the stores return policy. Very few are going to run to RC and do some research.

I think it would be great to have some statistics provided on the increase in SW fish store businesses as well as RC traffic after the movie opens.

This is a very key moment that everyone at RC can capitalize on to educate others. A whole lot of good can come from this movie also.

Thoughts?

Matthew P. Ridge

mridgep
04/10/2003, 07:25 PM
To clarify... I can also see the other side of the coin that parents tell their kids that the Nemos have to stay in the ocean where they can live.

Once a foot is in that LFS store though it's over.

Matthew P. Ridge

tang named junkyard
04/14/2003, 07:17 PM
Do you think they coould have pulled it off with a made up fish. I mean would people care if it was something rediculous like a peacock fish or something zany.

RooFish
04/14/2003, 08:00 PM
Hey, we LFSs aren't all evil!

Actually, we don't even sell saltwater fish anymore:( .

I do think, however, that the movie will up sales for saltwater fish. There are a lot of cheap people out there who will grab one of the freshwater net jockies and get them to give them their 2 fish, and get home, shove em in a bowl and kill them. Luckily, around here, the one remaining place with saltwater is pretty knowledgeble, and expensive. With any available luck, the price for the fish will convince the people too cheap to do a set up to not do it, and go with a goldfish.

I will go see the movie, or at least rent it though.:)